• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Billy e30 rr shocks

pierre²
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

I've got adjustable GC Koni's for an e30m3 in the back of my car, well the front, too. Seems to ride fine to me, and while they might complain about my driving, they don't complain about it being harsh.

Don't know about the Bilsteins in particular, but e30 stuff doesn't seem too bad in general.

Oh, note; my suspension is all e30m3, so I don't know if they'll bolt into your car.  YCarMV.

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

• Solution

I have Bilstein sports front and rear on my 318is (E30) along with Eibach lowering springs and big sway bars; while the ride is firm, it's certainly not unpleasant, even on long trips (OH to CO with no complaints from spouse, who's used to a softer ride).  If you can get a good price, go for it.  The front Bilsteins on my '73 are now 42 years old, have over 160k miles and are like new...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Agree with Mike, I have two sets on two E30, the one with the eibach pro kit has b6's, the other has b8's. The b6s are daily driver comfortable for me, the b8's seem a bit harsh but the whole setup is different so difficult to compare.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

8 hours ago, M3M3M3 said:

since this is a 2002 fourm, sounds like op's question is... will e30 rear dampers fit on a 2002.

Good point. Didn't consider missing the target completely, my bad...Didn't ever consider putting E30 front struts into the 2002 tubes either. I guess it's an expensive experiment, if the fronts fit and work there is a chance that the rears would too and the result wouldn't be worse than the current mixed bag. Fitting adjustable rears would be even more expensive but less risky...

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

sorry  for the confusion..                                                                                                    pic is from o2 struts with the correct o2 insert but  not evident,,,                                             - does e30 rr shocks  bolt-on an 2oo2  ,,, 

- e30= 21.5in uncompressed  and no 2oo2 to compare

- someone else ever  try     - if yes ,,  schizophrenic ride  or ok                                   - why i,m asking,,,  50.00cnd each from local seller.

- merci ,,

Edited by pierre²
  • Confused 1

Don't do it.

The E30 damper rate is higher than the 2002, and you could very well end up with a car

that exhibits bad oversteer, but only in certain conditions and on certain surfaces.

I did that once, and it took me a month to undo the 6" shorter that I made the car.

And the E30 front tubes are bigger than the E30's so those inserts don't fit.

t

• Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL