• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello again - here with my 69 barnfind from BAT

Joesprocket

Looks like a great blank canvas on which to build a tastefully upgraded 2002.  Jim’s being an excellent example.

There are an ever increasing amount of people removing themselves from social media (myself included) and rediscovering forums.  I hope you’ll get a chance to do a blog here, as that’s the only way many will follow along with your progress.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Automatic transmission fluid mixed 1:1 with acetone is known to get down into the rings on frozen engines. Then use a big cheater bar on the crank - and don't try to turn it over all at once, start out just trying to move it as little as possible. Might take a few weeks of daily 5 minute sessions torquing on it until it frees up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 11:58 AM, BarrettN said:

Then use a big cheater bar on the crank - and don't try to turn it over all at once, start out just trying to move it as little as possible.

question on this approach…. Is my socket/breaker bar receiving a nut or a bolt on the crank pulley. In either instance, won’t I end up just loosening the nut/bolt before potentially turning/freeing whatever is stuck? 

My plan is draining the oil and coolant and shooting 1:1 ATF and acetone down spark plug holes and let soak before attempting any torquing. 

Series 1, 1969 2002

Instagram: joseiden_bmwerke

29 minutes ago, Joesprocket said:

question on this approach…. Is my socket/breaker bar receiving a nut or a bolt on the crank pulley. In either instance, won’t I end up just loosening the nut/bolt before potentially turning/freeing whatever is stuck? 

My plan is draining the oil and coolant and shooting 1:1 ATF and acetone down spark plug holes and let soak before attempting any torquing. 

If it’s tight enough to be loosening the crank pulley bolt without turning the engine then she’s good and stuck. As the penetrating lube works its way down the bores it should be more inclined to turn. You could also try bumping it a tiny bit the other direction just to work things free. Never rotate it backwards more than a hair’s breadth obviously. 

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk

Here's the link to the Hagerty piece I wrote on the BaT auction of the car.

--Rob

Hack_Mechanic_Bat_Basketcase_Thumb.jpg?a
WWW.HAGERTY.COM

I spend far less time on Bring a Trailer than you might think, but when someone sent me a link to this car, I just had to check it out. Yikes.

• Thanks 1

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Our 71 was a basket case when we bought it a couple years ago — last registered in ‘88 with lots of evidence it was in a flood in the meantime! Now it’s back on the road using an entirely minimal budget. It’s fun. 

on one hand, you can try your best to preserve what’s there. On the other hand, anything you do will be an improvement, so the pressure is low!

• Like 3