• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 '02 ignition switch won't turn to START position

Marmstrong

Suddenly I can't turn the key to the Start position, and it takes some finagling to turn it all the way back to where I can remove it.  Also, the front wheels are NOT locking regardless of key position.  I've seen old posting about something in the lock cylinder that keeps you from starting multiple times without turning key back to garage position breaking (Mike Self?).  I bump started the car just to make sure it was not the starter or something, rev'd right up.  Thanks and happy holidays.

• Like 1

Yeah, it was me.  PM me for a column I did about a similar problem I had with my '69.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 weeks later...

Alas, had to pull the ignition out the back of the tumbler, but at least could start with screwdriver to get the car home.  Replacement is NLA, now looking for alternative that either looks clean or hidden, suggestions welcomed for a 2023 project ['73 '02].

6 hours ago, d.hitchcock said:

Bought a known-good used lock, had it rekeyed to match my ignition key, and voila.

You can do that yourself if you want to give it a try...fiddly but not that difficult.  I did a column...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 4 months later...