• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust in the front apron, opinions sought

joebarthlow

Anticipating a small rust repair in my front apron, I ended up digging out a trench of rust and bondo. I dug out the soft spots. Looks like I'll need to enlist a pro to cut and weld some metal. Looking for opinions... Do you think I can cut that bottom half of the apron off (above the lip) and weld in a like salvaged piece from another 2002, or should I replace the whole front clip?

The metal above and below the trenches seems solid. the rust color you see on the unscraped surface is actually original SiennaBraun.

It's a '74 base model, thanks for your input.

IMG_7524.jpeg

IMG_7525.jpeg

IMG_7526.jpeg

IMG_7527.jpeg

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

• joebarthlow changed the title to Rust in the front apron, opinions sought

Were it mine (and I had one that looked about like yours, after 30 Ohio winters) and theres no damage higher up on the front panel, I'd find an unrusted nose that's been whacked higher up, and cut the relevant sheet metal out to weld into your car. 

Rhinoplasty on an '02 isn't a trivial task, and from comments that have been posted, the replacement noses are not only expensive, but require some work to fit properly.  

And since all the rust holes seem to be on a flat panel between the upper bulge and lower lip, you might be able to fabricate some patch panels without having to find a donor nose.

That rust out is caused by the pocket formed where the outer nose panel meets the lower edge of the radiator support.  The factory didn't do a good job of painting down there, and made the drain holes way too small.  So when you repair, enlarge the drain holes on the radiator support's trailing edge to at least nickel size.  And rustproof the heck out of that seam once the patch is welded in...

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Were it mine (and I had one that looked about like yours, after 30 Ohio winters) and theres no damage higher up on the front panel, I'd find an unrusted nose that's been whacked higher up, and cut the relevant sheet metal out to weld into your car. 

Rhinoplasty on an '02 isn't a trivial task, and from comments that have been posted, the replacement noses are not only expensive, but require some work to fit properly.  

And since all the rust holes seem to be on a flat panel between the upper bulge and lower lip, you might be able to fabricate some patch panels without having to find a donor nose.

That rust out is caused by the pocket formed where the outer nose panel meets the lower edge of the radiator support.  The factory didn't do a good job of painting down there, and made the drain holes way too small.  So when you repair, enlarge the drain holes on the radiator support's trailing edge to at least nickel size.  And rustproof the heck out of that seam once the patch is welded in...

mike

your idea was my first thought. the metal above and below the trenches seems solid. thanks

• Like 1

I'm with Mike.  However, it might be a bit of a search, as that is a common corrosion spot.... so a core may have similar issues.

Maybe a new nose, but just cut the lower section and do some fiddling.

Glad you're tackling it head on, even if unpleasant.  I know more than one 02 owner who is living in denial by not looking at that area.

• Like 2

Here are some shots of mine, yours is a little worse off.  The front clips were expensive so I went this route (I had a local body and paint guy do this).  bill

IMG_6308.jpg

IMG_6318.jpg

67020716850__4D79BB77-80F3-4D61-AA07-08744DA5C621.jpg

IMG_6326.jpg

• Like 1

1973 2002 Chamonix sunroof (soon to be M42 swap)
2015 Ford Explorer-Wife
1999 Jeep Cherokee

1991 318i convertible (donor)

27 minutes ago, billw said:

Here are some shots of mine, yours is a little worse off.  The front clips were expensive so I went this route (I had a local body and paint guy do this).  bill

IMG_6308.jpg

that looks nice!

27 minutes ago, billw said: