• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bottlecaps just for now.. I promise.

larry_in_socal

If you ask me what I been doing. well lot's except working on the car, but trying to get my focus back on the car, too many things pulling me away, you now the wifey, to do lists, etc...

Still working on getting the 75 2002 (non-turbo) back on the road. 

Over the weekend I found some cheapy E30 wheels with tires in my quest to get this car back on the road. 

Don't knock them (yea. I hate them being painted) , I'm just trying to get the car to where I can move it around...even if it is just in my driveway.

Moving to a 14" wheel will allow me a better selection of tires.

Question: is the wheel lug shown going to work with the E30 wheels ?  The previous wheels were alloys so I think these lug nuts will work too, just checking to see what you guys think.

I calculated these being 60deg lugs, 1.35" in length, .81" hex. thoughts ?

IMG_1707.jpg.10871f8a1dfe24badf0ebd8f88783118.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg.216f717eca0670044cf0a0ed4fe88d9b.jpg

Edited by larry_in_socal

• larry_in_socal changed the title to Bottlecaps just for now.. I promise.

Those lug nuts whatever they are should be fine,

looks like adequate surface area on the tapers to me.

Wheel contact areas look ok?

The ones you dont want to use are the short taper nuts used on steelies.

Nothing wrong with bottle caps and only .001% of the population would even know they were subject to ridicule by .0001% of the population.

The black is kinda ugly but nothing an $8 can of paint won't fix.😁

Did you get a good deal?

IMG_3263 2.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I think I got a good deal, all 4 wheels and tires for $200, I think that is a good deal. They were local to me so I only had to drive about 45 mins out one way, no biggie, beats having to pay for shipping. 

In time I'll work on painting them, but for now I just want to be able to have wheels and tires enough to roll the car.

Hydraulics are next, I was debating on rebuilding my calipers, and master cylinder, and I might still do that, but I'm leaning towards getting new or rebuilds and just bolting them on.. the holidays are putting a wrench in my wrenching (no pun intended).. LOL

• Like 3

14 hours ago, larry_in_socal said:

I was debating on rebuilding my calipers, and master cylinder, and I might still do that, but I'm leaning towards getting new or rebuilds

I hear you, calipers are still readily available for around $100 a side. I'm going to buy a set from Amazon cuz I'm a bit of a Prime junkie.

I installed a URO master cylinder into Survivor for half the price, no issues.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

After taking some time and reviewing the information provided, I'm pretty sure that the lug nuts I have are for steel wheels. I checked a few websites, rogers, pelican, ECS, all refer to lug nut 36131113132 for alloy wheels, while lug nut 36131113131 for steel wheels. I'm pretty sure that I have the ---131 lug nuts, which will not work on the alloy wheels. they may work to get the car moving, but I'm going to source some ---132 nuts just to be on the safe side.

knowing the history of my car, I'm sure that the previous owner (high school friends of mine) I'm sure back "in the day" they slapped on the 13 inch alloys, without even thinking about changing the nuts to the correct nuts, you know deez nuts.. just had to say it... sure many of you were thinking of that.. LOL

I did the same. Needed some quick, cheap wheels for my new to me 72 so I got bottlecaps also. Cheap as chips. Wanted 14’s also for better tire choices. 
mine were in bad shape as they were race spares. So I spray painted them. Saw an interesting bottle cap where the recessed area was painted, rear was polished and liked how it accentuated the bottlecap. So I did reverse, hiding the worst parts of the wheel in the black lol. 
And I ran the shorty lugs intended for steel wheels. That was a bad idea. I have correct ones now. 
Wanted bronze but ended up with copper. Homage to M4 GTS? :)

I’m also in SoCal! 
image.thumb.jpeg.fe083488b7da394962824799846476e1.jpeg

• Like 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Pablo,

thanks for the reply, yep I think we are on the same page, needing some cheap 14" wheels for decent tire choices. You mention using the correct lugs, were they the 36131113132 lugs?  What happened with the shorty lugs that make you say they were a bad idea ? Did you get Febi or Bmw lugs or generic, I'm leading towards getting the Febi as they are about $3 bucks each right now, but seeing $20 buck sets on eBay is enticing, but I would rather stick to brand names I know.

Thanks,

Larry F.

38 minutes ago, larry_in_socal said:

but seeing $20 buck sets on eBay is enticing,

No reason not to use aftermarket but seems the hex is  3/4 in. instead of 19mm. So you have  to keep a 3/4 in lug wrench in the car...

I bought the Febi's, they have 19mm hex. There's a distinct possibility that the Febis and BMW OEs are coming from the same place.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

59 minutes ago, larry_in_socal said:

Pablo,

thanks for the reply, yep I think we are on the same page, needing some cheap 14" wheels for decent tire choices. You mention using the correct lugs, were they the 36131113132 lugs?  What happened with the shorty lugs that make you say they were a bad idea ? Did you get Febi or Bmw lugs or generic, I'm leading towards getting the Febi as they are about $3 bucks each right now, but seeing $20 buck sets on eBay is enticing, but I would rather stick to brand names I know.

Thanks,

Larry F.

Hi Larry, I actually bought vintage style lugs from Ireland Engineering. That seemed a no brainer in regard fitment, even though I paid a fair bit more ($40). I like supporting folks like that, they're local and super nice people, and I've been ordering from them almost daily lol so adding them into another order coming seemed easy enough. They'll also serve me well when I switch to e30 steelies, which is what I think I'll end up with, either that or my sons 14" basketweaves when he upgrades his e30 wheels :)

The shorty lugs that came on mine, with the steel wheels, are steel lugs and I could see every time I removed them that they were biting into the aluminum and leaving shavings in the lug hole of the wheel. I also had them come loose on me. Lucky for me I was only rolling the car down the alley, given its not roadworthy quite yet.

Edited by Pablo M

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I officially now have a roller!!!

I ordered a set of lug nuts from  Aardvarc Racing, and had to sort out my tire situation, unfortunately two of the tires that came with the set of wheels were the wrong size and after sourcing two good used tires, I now have a rolling car with Bottle-Caps on 195-65-14 ....

Next I plan to work on both Clutch and Brake Hydraulics so I can officially have a "drive-able" car.. almost there...

IMG_1810.jpg.4c7b672183e0acfe388357fb2d224283.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg.79a15351b5aa63b6d1bdb9a0e4ee98d5.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg.14698d6168b747d5c0445d57d5d9427b.jpg

• Like 1