Jump to content
  • When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 bmw 2002 tobacco interior color code ?


Flamingo 5

Recommended Posts

That color in 1972 is a little tricky.  There were actually two "tobacco/caramel/saddle" tan/brown colors used on 2002s.  Early cars used a vinyl that was mottled--i.e. not a consistent color when looking at a large piece--like the front seat backs or door cards.  Then in 1972 they must have changed suppliers because the color changed slightly and is a consistent color. 

 

They're kinda hard to tell apart unless seen side by side.  I know because my '69 has the mottled color and my 73 has the solid color.  The change occurred during the 1972 model year, as I've seen 72s with known original seats with either variety.   I suspect the factory was using up the earlier color seats and interiors until they ran out.

 

The later color tends to get more orange as it ages, while the earlier one gets more brown.  AFAIK the factory used the same code for both varieties, as to them it was the "same" color, paired with the same paint colors.

 

mike

  • Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mike Self said:

 

That color in 1972 is a little tricky.  There were actually two "tobacco/caramel/saddle" tan/brown colors used on 2002s.  Early cars used a vinyl that was mottled--i.e. not a consistent color when looking at a large piece--like the front seat backs or door cards.  Then in 1972 they must have changed suppliers because the color changed slightly and is a consistent color…

 

 


And precisely to your point, Mike, the brown all-vinyl ‘02 interior as of the June 1971 Farb- und Polster-kombinationem brochure was K 16/15, where “K” abbreviated Kunstleder (vinyl), “16” was the color code for the molded or perforated vinyl, and “15” was the color code for the smooth vinyl.

 

By October 1972 — sorry, I’ve nothing between June 1971 and October 1972 —  the brown all-vinyl was K 14/20, where “14” was the color code for the molded or perforated vinyl, and “20” was the color code for the smooth vinyl.

 

I do believe the color change accompanied the change in the style of heat-seams, from faux stitching to no evidence of stitching. And that change probably happened around December 1971.

 

Best regards,

 

Steve

 

 

B7FCB018-ACCE-493D-AF6E-66E8EF277692.jpeg

3B1D8842-AC28-4D3A-B8AE-7501799B5D1D.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And, thanks to @d.hitchcock’s sharing of a link to BMW Group Archives, I can confirm that the January 1972 Farb- und Polster-kombinationem brochure shows that BMW had moved onto the later K 14/20 all-vinyl interior by January 1972.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

And, thanks to @d.hitchcock’s sharing of a link to BMW Group Archives, I can confirm that the January 1972 Farb- und Polster-kombinationem brochure shows that BMW had moved onto the later K 14/20 all-vinyl interior by January 1972.

But ya never know with BMW...I remember seeing a very original US spec 2002tii--so a '72--with the early K16/15 vinyl and chrome seat recliners...and...it was painted Nevada!  Ya gotta wonder...  I wasn't able to see the VIN plate, but it has to be a very early car, assembled shortly after the 1972 model year commenced in September 1971.

 

mike

  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a car built in August '71 it's always fascinating to me to read about the differences in the builds as they wrapped up 71 production and moved into 72 (mine is titled as a 72).  When I am back from overseas I'll have to look at my interior closely to see which it more closely resembles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave919 said:

With a car built in August '71 it's always fascinating to me to read about the differences in the builds as they wrapped up 71 production and moved into 72 (mine is titled as a 72).  When I am back from overseas I'll have to look at my interior closely to see which it more closely resembles.


An August 1971 car (whether it was a 1971 model manufactured, say, August 1st or a 1972 model manufactured, say, August 31) will have originally had the early style and color of vinyl. The switchover in style and color occurred a few months into the 1972 model year, probably December 1971. Round taillight seats, unless they’ve been recovered or substantially rebuilt, will have dated manufacturer’s inspection cards in the backrest.

 

BMW parts changeovers often did not adhere to model year changeovers (generally around September 1). Many changes occurred mid-year, often in January.

 

The photo below shows the dated inspection card of a right front seat manufactured on June 20, 1972 (“20.  6.  72”). It was originally installed in VIN 2762204, a 1972 tii manufactured July 10, 1972.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

 

 

92906534-C32A-4C3A-A834-27B1FAD1A332.jpeg

  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, West Palm 2002 said:

Perhaps this will help you identify what the color code for my interior is

9FFACA57-75B0-4CA2-B2E8-3EE761E575B1.jpeg


With a manufacturing date of June 3, 1972 (“3. Juni 1972”), a brown seat should be the later K 14/20. Again, 14 is the number for the perforated vinyl and 20 is the number for the smooth vinyl.

 

(Naue was the manufacturer of the gummihaar, obviously here for the rear seat [Hintersitz].)

 

As a check that you have the later round taillight vinyl, the heat seams in the perforated vinyl should look like the first photo below and not like the second photo.

 

I wonder, nonetheless, what these 1972 color codes will mean today. You can obviously go to an automotive paint store and they’ll have a formula for BMW Sahara 006 exterior paint. But is there a vinyl dealer that can translate BMW smooth vinyl 20 into new vinyl?

 

If that is not possible, you could simply choose a slightly lighter near-match and then dye the panels to the perfect shade.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

 

8B645E22-9F43-405E-AC13-C58DDE63B0F6.jpeg

B9A5F9F1-8EAB-41B9-B545-8C376AEE3688.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Conserv said:


With a manufacturing date of June 3, 1972 (“3. Juni 1972”), a brown seat should be the later K 14/20. Again, 14 is the number for the perforated vinyl and 20 is the number for the smooth vinyl.

 

(Naue was the manufacturer of the gummihaar, obviously here for the rear seat (Hintersitz).)

 

As a check that you have the later round taillight vinyl, the heat seams in the perforated vinyl should look like the first photo below and not like the second photo.

 

I wonder, nonetheless, what these 1972 color codes will mean today. You can obviously go to an automotive paint store and they’ll have a formula for BMW Sahara 006 exterior paint. But is there a vinyl dealer that can translate BMW smooth vinyl 20 into new vinyl?

 

If that is not possible, you could simply choose a slightly lighter near-match and then dye the panels to the perfect shade.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

 

8B645E22-9F43-405E-AC13-C58DDE63B0F6.jpeg

B9A5F9F1-8EAB-41B9-B545-8C376AEE3688.jpeg

This is about helping a shop located in Moldova obtain the exact color to reproduce door cards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, West Palm 2002 said:

This is about helping a shop located in Moldova obtain the exact color to reproduce door cards


Exactly! That might be a big challenge. And I’m not certain a BMW vinyl color code from 1972 can provide the help a shop in Moldova (or the U.S., for that matter) needs.

 

My sense of both the “Tobacco” (1968-1971) and “Saddle” (1971-1973) vinyls is that members of this forum have been unable to find good modern matches for either color. If that is simply my misunderstanding, perhaps members can jump in with what vinyl they’ve found and where they’ve sourced it.
 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

 

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

    BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

    Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

    In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

    The BMW 2002 Production Run

    BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

  • Supporting Vendors

×
×
  • Create New...