• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blaupunkt Speaker Wiring

RMBaiada

I installed a Frankfurt US Blaupunkt radio in my 2002 when I purchased the car new in 1974. Although a mono radio, I originally hooked up 2 under dash speakers, but do not remember how I wired up the speakers.

On the Vintageblau website, it says that, "Speakers should be 8 ohm through the late 1970's. Using 4 ohm speakers will damage the radio over time".

Does this mean that the total impedance at the radio should be 8 ohms (i.e., two 4 ohm speakers in series)?

I still want 2 speakers, and would appreciate some help in how to wire the 2 speakers with my 1974 mono Blaupunkt radio, i.e., is that two 4, 8 or 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel or series? 

4ed146356492a0fba584e596f8063746?AccessK
WWW.VINTAGEBLAU.COM

Thanks, but I need to know what the total impedance needs to be for my 1974 Frankfurt US radio.

On the Vintageblau.com website, it says the speakers should be 8-ohm. But is that two 8-ohm speakers or 8-ohm impedance at the radio?

I am guessing that I need two 4-ohm speakers in series to make 8 ohms at the radio.

3 hours ago, RMBaiada said:

I am guessing that I need two 4-ohm speakers in series to make 8 ohms at the radio.

That's what I am guessing as well.  The Frankfurt is expecting one 8 ohm speaker.  If you want to run 2 speakers, your would run two 4 ohm speakers in series which would provide 8 ohms to the radio.  Or, you could run two 16 ohm speakers in parallel to get your 8 ohms at the radio.

Mark92131

• Like 2

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a mono speaker plug or know what speaker plugs would work with a Frankfurt US Blaupunkt radio, which I installed in my 1974 BMW 2002 when I purchased it new in 1974? I have tried standard RCA type plugs, but they are too loose.

693851415_BlauPlug.png.546ea5fc65c2f5e59ec358146baae60d.png

Edited by RMBaiada

22 hours ago, JohnS said:

Search for someone who specializes in the old radios.  Those original Blaupunkt plugs are out there.

BlaupunktMonoPlug.jpg

+1

eBay and a WTB ad on this forum are the easiest ways to score Blaupunkt speaker plugs. There are still lots of them kicking around.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 3 months later...

I have a Frankfurt mono US spec radio for my 73.  It is a C series, 71/72. I also have a bluetooth adapter.   There are two 'banana plugs' for two speakers.

I currently have a Japanese Frankfurt from the early 80's with two 5 1/4 Fosgate speakers I bought with the Kooglewerks speaker blisters. The DIN plug on the 80's Blaupunkt goes out for an amplifier and would not work for a bluetooth adaptor.  Plus, the early Frankfurt looks good.

The speakers are 4 ohm, so I would have to run the speaker wires to the above 'series' diagram for 8ohms resistance.  Ingo at Vintageblau recommended against the Fosgate speakers due to the power rating.  The speakers are 40 watt speakers.  Should I be searching for 70's style speakers with lower wattage?  

Since I have a Behr AC console, the single center speaker is not workable.  The Kooglewerks blisters are good!

What is the power rating on the early Frankfurt?

What speakers are forum members using with their vintage Blaupunkts?

Edited by David Layton

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a