• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removed Injectors

EZE

Hello, 

I hope everyone is enjoying there Saturday!

I just removed my injectors on the 73 tii and I have a few questions. I found a diesel shop who said they can clean and test my injectors so my question is what are some of the things I should tell them?  Spray pattern, PSI etc...

I also noticed I didn't have copper washers, they are supposed to be there right? What size are they? 

This is my first time removing and since I have things apart what else should I be checking or looking at? any other maintenance items I should check? 

Thanks for all your help. 

20220910_121156.jpg

5 hours ago, Mike G said:

Opening PSI should be 450-500, ideally all four within a couple psi of each other. If you can’t find washers locally send me your address and I’ll toss them in the mail. I bought a bag of 500 a while back.  

I have a diesel pop tester with the gauge changed out to match the opening pressure range on our injectors - but the needle bounces quite a bit when the injector opens. You mention opening pressures within a couple of psi, I'm wondering if that's based on personal experience, and if so, what technique/tools do you use to measure the opening pressure that accurately? 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

38 minutes ago, BarrettN said:

I have a diesel pop tester with the gauge changed out to match the opening pressure range on our injectors - but the needle bounces quite a bit when the injector opens. You mention opening pressures within a couple of psi, I'm wondering if that's based on personal experience, and if so, what technique/tools do you use to measure the opening pressure that accurately? 

not personal experience, just relaying what was told to me by the pro who did my injectors and is knowledgeable with tii’s. No idea what his set up is. 

8 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

Lots of us have used Paul and, after Paul’s too-early passing, Ronnie Musoke, to service our injectors. All to great benefit!

If I recall, appropriate new copper washers accompany the serviced injectors. 

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks for the info. I took my injectors to the diesel shop yesterday,  just two old timers working. I will post how it works out. The guy look at the injectors and said "oh these are mechanical injectors" Like he was looking at something from the past he hasn’t seen in a while.