• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting ALPINA Steering wheel

AGAIN_03

Hello all, i was looking through my storage and found this steering wheel. It is evidently alpina/ momo but i have never seen them with 2 holes in each spoke, only 3 holes in each. I wanted some confirmation thats it’s authentic and possibly find out if its rare,how much it may be worth, what period its from etc. 

I put it on my 72 02 temporarily to show how it looks mounted , i think the stock steering wheel fits my car better so this wheel might better use to someone with a more modified car or alpina variant.

thanks 

oscar

4E5D72FB-6B62-447D-B84A-57090E75F9C5.jpeg

24BFC34D-035D-4B47-A558-EEBE1C271F79.jpeg

8E083C0C-3F94-4765-A2B7-F2160D95C016.jpeg

C2C505B6-E9DB-4044-8B3B-20DB087452DA.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AGAIN_03 said:

I put it on my 72 02 temporarily to show how it looks mounted , i think the stock steering wheel fits my car better so this wheel might better use to someone with a more modified car or alpina variant.

If I had that wheel, I'd be very inclined to modify the car accordingly just to have the excuse of being able to use it!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Very rare, desirable wheel. While one does occasionally find Prototipo S’s, one rarely if ever comes across one that’s stamped Alpina.

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Hard to find in this condition, expensive to buy.  Learn to hate it and use it (unless you really, really hate it).  Coming from someone that has regrettably sold a number of 'difficult to find' parts over the years - unfortunately more than I care to recount.....I would advise keeping it even if you don't end up using it (now), unless of course you need the $$.  All of these kinds of parts are becoming increasingly difficult to find (at any price).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did some quick research for you. The paint used on that rare find has been known to cause cancer in lab rats….I am trained to handle such problems and will gladly get that wheel out of your life! So glad I am able to offer this service for you. ?

I will buy in a heartbeat if you are out on it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

While it has a similar design to the Prototipo s, it is an e9 CSL Alpina steering wheel. The early carbed CSL’s came from the factory sporting this steering wheel, and this is an early wheel as well since it has the stacked Momo logo, which was only around until ‘73. You could of course buy this wheel as an aftermarket option for any BMW. Unfortunately yours appears to have stress marks on both side spokes which significantly affects the value (and stability) of the wheel. Otherwise they are quite valuable wheels. My absolute favorite steering wheel design of all time, very cool find either way! 

8CE8BBC0-EDAC-4CA8-B054-B17A63E2EA2C.thumb.jpeg.1be82119e5e303860a349371bda13ebd.jpeg

Edited by JohnP_02
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (owned 10 years)

A few steering wheels

I used to have that same wheel on a 1974 3.0 csi I used to own.  Very nice wheel.  If I remember correctly it was 380mm or 400mm which is the perfect width for a cs coupe or a 2002.  Love those wheels.  The regular Prototipos that are readily available today are only 350mm which is too narrow for my taste.  I'm a big guy though

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

6 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I used to have that same wheel on a 1974 3.0 csi I used to own.  Very nice wheel.  If I remember correctly it was 380mm which is the perfect width for a cs coupe or a 2002.  Love those wheels.  The regular Prototipos that are readily available today are only 350mm which is too narrow for my taste.  I'm a big guy though

370mm prototipos are currently available again. 

11 minutes ago, Lorin said:

370mm prototipos are currently available again. 

Good to know.  Thank you.  I'm good in the steering wheel department at the moment with a 400mm "tii" slotted spoked wheel on the '73 and a 400mm stock 1974 steering wheel on the '74.  I've also got a couple of 380mm Petri wheels kicking around for when I feel the urge to switch things up.  Glad to hear that Momo came though with the bigger Prototipos again.  Are they the flat style like they used to be?

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

6 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Good to know.  Thank you.  I'm good in the steering wheel department at the moment with a 400mm "tii" slotted spoked wheel on the '73 and a 400mm stock 1974 steering wheel on the '74.  I've also got a couple of 380mm Petri wheels kicking around for when I feel the urge to switch things up.  Glad to hear that Momo came though with the bigger Prototipos again.  Are they the flat style like they used to be?

Unfortunately not flat. Still a decent wheel in an underrepresented size in my opinion. 

https://momo.com/en-us/momo-street-steering-wheels/momo-prototipo-370mm.html?pn=PRO37BK2B