• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

limited slip diff banter

Milo

On 5/13/2022 at 12:02 PM, m-tuner said:

use to buy 2002 s for $500, I try not looking back because I passed on a 1974 3.0 RS porsche for $18 k  thats a 1.5 millinon car, they built 99, of which 49 became 3,0rsr , and less than 50 street cars

Yes, but the 02 and e21 were mass produced and littered the junk yards. Some of us removed the parts, but most of these cars were crushed. The 911RS is a special car with a very limited production run. But, it is still too over priced as the tech Yuppies discovered classic Porsches 20 years ago and drove the prices through the roof.  Back in 1983 my best friend purchased a solid 1963 Porsche 356 for $2,500 as basic transportation to college. I purchased my first 02, a 68 1600, for $500 and used it as my daily transportation to school. Now, you have to have deep pockets to afford a 356 or 912. Things have changed, and it's all become BS. I have nothing in common with many of the new owners. And, I could really care less for them and most of their cars.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 2:59 PM, jfahuna said:

It would be nice if people would stop living in the past and deal with the present value of the dollar ..

Jack,

You're right, but some of us are anachronisms. 

You guys are all nutty over these things. I have a 245/5 I removed from an e21 with 80K miles indicated on the odometer at the wrecking yard back in the 90s for a mere $100. It's a used transmission. And now, people are asking $2K for these things. It's just a $100 used transmission to me. No, I'm not selling it now. It's a spare for my early 1600 which was "Upgraded" by the previous owner with all these things, unfortunately.

Edited by Milo

On 5/18/2022 at 3:00 PM, maharaja said:

screw the  02 yuppies, carpet baggers and johnny come lately's

I am going for a pre purchase contract

Driver's Club anyone?

moskvitch-1652882685.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.7

The Moskvitch was a decent car, but I always liked the Lada, a license built Fiat 124 with better steel for bodywork and heavy duty suspension among other improvements. And Yes ! the Yuppies and Johnny come lately's  are  digging deep into their pockets and paying exorbitant prices so they can brag and drive their cars to meets. I used my 02s as everyday transportation. We drove them into the ground and repaired them on shoe string budgets back in the day. And, it was a lot more fun rummaging through salvage yards and finding dirt cheap parts vs. paying top dollar for parts from vendors these days. And, the Europeans will come back knocking on Russia's door, begging to sell their cars there again, that includes Renault.

https://www.rbth.com/history/332048-lada-2101-soviet-cars

Edited by Milo

Milo, this is getting really old to hear about at this point. I usually don't comment like this on the forum here but I feel it's necessary to point out when it starts to litter a member's for sale post. And it's not just this one. You have commented on numerous posts about how prices are not the same as they were in the 90's. You are correct. They are not. The reason you won't sell your 5 speed transmission for $100 and are instead saving it as a spare, is the exact reason they are more expensive now. Because they don't make them anymore. They are what we call rare. If I posted a part for sale here and half the comments on the thread were from you ranting about how it was overpriced I would not be very happy. We get it, man. Stuff is expensive. I think it should be celebrated that people still love these cars and are doing what they can to keep them on the road. Let me know if you ever want to sell the 245/5....I'll give you more than $100 for it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 5/26/2022 at 8:34 PM, Russellrh72 said:

Milo, this is getting really old to hear about at this point. I usually don't comment like this on the forum here but I feel it's necessary to point out when it starts to litter a member's for sale post. And it's not just this one. You have commented on numerous posts about how prices are not the same as they were in the 90's. You are correct. They are not. The reason you won't sell your 5 speed transmission for $100 and are instead saving it as a spare, is the exact reason they are more expensive now. Because they don't make them anymore. They are what we call rare. If I posted a part for sale here and half the comments on the thread were from you ranting about how it was overpriced I would not be very happy. We get it, man. Stuff is expensive. I think it should be celebrated that people still love these cars and are doing what they can to keep them on the road. Let me know if you ever want to sell the 245/5....I'll give you more than $100 for it. 

I know. I'm raining on the parts sales parade. But, somebody has to remind you guys of the direction in which all of this has gone. It's ridiculous. I'll give you my honest assessment of the 245/5 gearbox and the limited slip diff. I have one of these gearboxes coupled to a 2 liter and a long neck 4.11 limited slip diff. First and foremost it's an over rated gearbox. 5th gear is way out there at .80 or 20% taller than the 1:1 ratio of 4th gear. It works with the 3.64 diff, but barely as you got to downshift on even the small grades. So, people install a 3.90 diff to cut down the overdrive effect and bring it down to 10% - 12%, depending on the tire size. And, while doing this the diff of choice is the short neck "S" package limited slip 3.90 from the 320i. This has become the package of choice for just about every 02 owner aspiring for that "Improvement" package.

Now, let's take a closer look at that conversion; You got to shorten the driveshaft and refit it in the correct position. I had to reposition the driveshaft 2X before I finally got everything aligned. The aftermarket transmission cross member bracket wasn't exactly drilled correctly my whatever shop which produced it.

Then there is that slave cylinder on the 245/5 which sits up high in the tunnel. Good luck trying to service it while everything is in place.

And, then there is that short neck LSD. Have you ever driven a car on a wet surface equipped with a LSD ? You're asking for trouble as your tail with swing out in front of your nose in a second unless you are very careful and ginger with the accelerator pedal. The LAS is great for the track on a dry day.

And, the so called "Rare" factor is just hype. These diffs and transmissions were produced by the tens of thousands. They littered the junkyards where they were just disposable junk sold at low prices to some of us who would go out there and crawl in the mud, sand and grease to remove them from the cars in the salvage yards.

I'm not selling parts for a living. So, to me a lot of this stuff is worth what it represents to me; used "As Is" parts. It's a pain fitting a 245/5 to a car. And, it is important to know the condition of the diff or trans beforehand. Rebuilding them is expensive. So, as a core they are only worth about $100 to me. If I ever sell mine, I won't ask for much more. That also applies to the set of Recaros, now in need of new upholstery, I removed from a 320i at the salvage yard for about $45. I could care less for Recaros. And, I'm not using them. They are sitting in my brother's old 02, now retired in front of my house.

The previous owner did the 2L conversion with the 245/5 and LSD on my 67 1600-2. He converted it to 12V as well. I was looking to get it back to a 1.6 with the 4 speed Porsche synchroed trans. But, going back in that direction has become very expensive considering the price of 6V electrical components for the early cars. I've collected the block, NOS pistons, crank NOS 118 head, Porsche synchroed smooth case trans and  6V instrument cluster. But, the 6V generator is ridiculously expensive. I should have grabbed one at the salvage yard back in the day. And, then there is the 6V heater blower motor etc.

• Like 1

1600/2002 s are not cheap any more, the 1972 tii restored just sold for $110,000 on bat, these cars were not cheap when new, the window sticker on my 1972 tii  was $4,857 in august of 72, a 510 datsun was $2,300  and they are rare, a lot got eaten by the tin worms, or recked , if you want cheap by a honda , you want a  porsche synco 4 speed I have them ,  I have been doing 2002/1600 s since 1971 , its my life  ,  my prices  are  market rate, you want a schnitzer 4 vale head set up its 60k I sold one for 3k 20 years ago,  prices change with time and supply

• Like 5

Would you people stop back and forth and let the man sell his product.

Aint yall  have anything else to do but to play with your keyboard?

Recommend to get up of your ---- and get to work.

Going to the tool box has always been productive .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jfahuna said:

Would you people stop back and forth and let the man sell his product.

Aint yall  have anything else to do but to play with your keyboard?

Recommend to get up of your ---- and get to work.

Going to the tool box has always been productive .

Jack,

This is my "Fun" time, when I take a break from the toolbox.

Ok ! Ok ! We'll let the guy sell his stuff. You can only harass the melon vendor or peddler so much. People have to make their living. And, there is nothing wrong with asking the "Market Value" for parts. I understand. This is the "Bezaar" after all. But, I can't help it. I got to chime in with my 90s era Junk Yard nostalgia. I though I hated the junk yards with their grime and grease in the  sweltering heat of SoCal's summer, but now I long for those days. Perhaps I'll write a book or screenplay about it where I can include all my tiring narrative so that it doesn't have to manifest itself on this board. Now, that's an idea worth pursuing.