• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Quick Ratio Steering Box Kit - Who's using it?

M3This

1 minute ago, M3This said:

I’ll try this out. 

Depending on your location, it's very possible that you will need to ship your box to someone to do. It's pretty common, actually, sending things across country to get someone with experience to do something for you. 

If KB has someone who has done one local to him and had a good experience, maybe ask him for a referral.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Furry Camel said:

Depending on your location, it's very possible that you will need to ship your box to someone to do. It's pretty common, actually, sending things across country to get someone with experience to do something for you. 

If KB has someone who has done one local to him and had a good experience, maybe ask him for a referral.

Yeah figured that was going to be the case and don’t have an issue with that if there is someone that someone can recommend. I had to ship my car to northern CA for rust restoration, its now in Southern CA for fab work and then back to Northern CA for final paint before it comes back to me in Idaho. 

Talk to Jack at probimmer, he was having boxes rebuilt for a while, I think the parts supply ran low but maybe he can get it done with the IE kit? Have some time set aside before you call. Let me know what he says. I have a non QR kit and a box needing rebuilt and the local old German shop wants an arm, a leg, and a first born to do it. 

10 hours ago, Furry Camel said:

*Both Jeff Ireland and I have the QR kits installed in our race cars. I installed the kits using specialized tools and a jig to hold the steering shaft. I built five boxes, and I'm done. I can't charge enough to make it worth my time. Probably two days per box, start to finish.

What are the main aspects that make the assembly of a new box so time consuming?

26 minutes ago, Lorin said:

What are the main aspects that make the assembly of a new box so time consuming?

Disassembly is the Problem. You need a real good press with the correct dies to get it apart.

• Like 2

Also, if you don’t have the equipment to press the new pin in, you need to weld it in to lock it in place. The thing is, the shaft and pin are different types of metal, so you need special welding rod that can penetrate dissimilar metals. It’s a pain. Just use a normal steering box. That money is better spent on something else. 

• Like 7

I'll add a lengthy follow up.

I just completed two boxes with new gears and I can do your project as I have had several people have me do these, either in standard or QR, the process is the same and as said above,  is time consuming and detailed to do right, but better than OE.

I have or have made several tools for the disassembly, measurement, assembly, shimming and setting the proper torque and slack at center track. Just the special drill bits to remove the roller axle are over $100.00 each. Everything is ultrasonically cleaned several times along the process. I use bushings that I have had made that are Bronze, longer than OE, and have oil channels in them, then are honed to specification so there is very little axial movement. Flat surfaces are hand lapped to ensure perfect fit. Digital Dial indicators and torque meters are used to set the shim stack and tension on the worm. All the hardware is replated. After the roller is installed and tack welded, I submerge the unit in oil and vacuum bag it for 3 days so that the oil will reach the the needle bearings of the roller.....it won't do that if you just fill the box...and one of the reasons they wear......  Usually (depends on a few different things) but when done, there is less than 0.5" or no slack in the steering wheel.

The process usually takes a few weeks, sometimes months depending on sourcing the parts and the backlog of my subcontractors. It also depends if you want your  serial numbered, date coded box restored or one from my inventory.

The BIG question is when you are looking at a "rebuilt" box, just what did the rebuilder actually replace, what is the tension, what is the slack for your particular steering wheel diameter? Do they even know the specifications?

Previous posts have thrown out numbers to do this, and for the most part they are on track.

I'm still mulling over the price to offer, as each box can be different (one client's shaft was bent 0.100" by his mechanic) and my costs have (hasn't everything?) gone up. It also depends on whether you provide the new gear kit or any hardware and gaskets.

So, let's talk about it. PM me and we'll discuss.

I'll probably bring a recent box to the Event; so if you want to see my work, let me know. Or see below, such as it is.

Ted

IMG_20220427_114655728.thumb.jpg.a4e47a65a63c529dd674d9acccadd3e3.jpg

IMG_20220502_143848560.thumb.jpg.05057b01cb7e62296e7eb9e5509a4039.jpg

IMG_20220428_133021844.thumb.jpg.8ef7f82f34663382ea4385243c492c2b.jpg

• Like 7