• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header & pistons wanted

Bibm5

Getting ready to rebuild / spice up the m10 from my 1974 2002.

Looking for all the usual ingredients. I already have a 292 cam and 38/38 carb.

Need higher comp pistons, header, upgraded radiator, 123 distributor, windage tray, etc... 

Planning to start ordering things in a couple weeks but just figured I'd put it out there incase someone had some parts on the shelf collecting dust. 

What cylinder head do you have? That will determine what piston style you require. What compression ratio are you aiming for?

E12 casting is different from 121, for instance. Different combustion chamber shape. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

41 minutes ago, wegweiser said:

What cylinder head do you have? That will determine what piston style you require. What compression ratio are you aiming for?

E12 casting is different from 121, for instance. Different combustion chamber shape. 

Per 'Adam's autosport' Street hotrod checklist he recommends 9.5:1 but I've seen others recommend 10:1.

The engine currently has an E12 head but I have an e21 head sitting on the shelf (has the 292 cam installed) .

I'm still deep in the research phase on pro/cons for both so haven't decided which direction to go in yet. Was probably going to make a post in main discussion forum to get some more knowledgeable input. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 11:50 PM, Bibm5 said:

Per 'Adam's autosport' Street hotrod checklist he recommends 9.5:1 but I've seen others recommend 10:1.

The engine currently has an E12 head but I have an e21 head sitting on the shelf (has the 292 cam installed) .

I'm still deep in the research phase on pro/cons for both so haven't decided which direction to go in yet. Was probably going to make a post in main discussion forum to get some more knowledgeable input. 

The factory options for an E12 head (piano-top pistons) only go as high as 9.5. Some Euro-spec e21 car, with an E21 head, apparently used a 9.3 compression ratio piston, but good luck trying to find a set, particularly in an oversize. I gave up with that search for my E21 head ‘76 ‘02 and had custom pistons made to reach 9.5 (photos below). 10.0 pistons for a 121 head (bathtub-top pistons) are still somewhat (?) available. Besides custom pistons, shaving the head — which has its own set of side issues — and changing valves are still possibilities for increasing the compression ratio.

Is your E12 head a “good” head, in terms of corrosion, height, cracks, warping, etc. Since you must match pistons to head type, don’t buy pistons until you know your head is a keeper!

At the same time you’re finding the right head for your build, you should be evaluating your block. What size oversize do you need? Dream E12 pistons aren’t going to be very useful if they’re standard size, but your block is at second oversize…

Regards,

Steve

9CBDB65E-8FF4-4368-AD3C-6AB43962B81B.jpeg

E7383745-1E76-4280-A7B1-591539E0AAE7.jpeg

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

The factory options for an E12 head (piano-top pistons) only go as high as 9.5. Some Euro-spec e21 car, maybe with an E21 head, apparently used a 9.3 compression ratio piston, but good luck trying to find a set. I gave up with that search for my E21 head ‘76 ‘02 and had custom pistons made to reach 9.5 (photos below). 10.0 pistons for a 121 head (bathtub-top pistons) are still somewhat (?) available. Besides custom pistons, shaving the head — which has its own set of side issues — and changing valves are still possibilities for increasing the compression ratio.

Is your E12 head a “good” head, in terms of corrosion, height, cracks, warping, etc. Since you must match pistons to head type, don’t buy pistons until you know your head is a keeper!

At the same time you’re finding the right head for your build, you should be  evaluating your block. What size oversize do you need? Dream E12 pistons aren’t going to be very useful if they’re standard size, but your block is at second oversize…

Regards,

Steve

9CBDB65E-8FF4-4368-AD3C-6AB43962B81B.jpeg

E7383745-1E76-4280-A7B1-591539E0AAE7.jpeg

Once I pull the engine and get it torn down the block and both heads will go out to a trusted machine shop to have everything checked over and so they can tell me what size pistons I need. At that point I'll start looking to pull the trigger on a set. I was really just casting a net out in advance to see if anyone had anything available in the meantime. Pistons don't seem to be so readily available these days... 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bibm5 said:

Once I pull the engine and get it torn down the block and both heads will go out to a trusted machine shop to have everything checked over and so they can tell me what size pistons I need. At that point I'll start looking to pull the trigger on a set. I was really just casting a net out in advance to see if anyone had anything available in the meantime. Pistons don't seem to be so readily available these days... 

Who is your trusted machine shop?

I just had Will's in Chamblee do my Tii engine.  They are the go to shop by everyone I know in the area.  

• Like 2

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC