• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Belt line joining clips with stick on trim?

Highnote1

Just installed Brandsport stick on trim based on suggestions here. Planning on using clips on the corners to make it look more real. Has anyone done that and did you alter the clips to do so? 

It looks like I need to maybe Dremel the back edges off and maybe just double side tape

em on? 

4887C556-049A-4E18-AEE1-E15B7299D97E.jpeg

Never bothered trying to add clips on my car, but certainly not going to try to stop another Panasporter! :D As for the trailing edges, I found what worked best was to use a plain razor blade to cut the trim off at the right angle (e.g. to clear the door trim). Then a chrome paint pen on the cut surface helps hide/blend it in.

2 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

It might be easier to modify the plastic trim to fit in the metal clip.

+1.  You should be able to skinny down the plastic trim at the spots where the clips would go--using the suggested razor blade--and pop the clip over the trim.  Experiment with a scrap piece of plastic trim to figure out how to do it...you want to make sure the plastic trim's cross section matches the aluminum clips; plastic is easier to cut/shape than aluminum.  And given the price of those little clips, you don't want to booger one up.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite