• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

finish on fasteners

Does anyone know the correct finish on engine, subframe and suspension fasteners for my 1967 tilux?  I am starting the reassembly process and feel that it is just as easy to make things right at this stage as it is to make them incorrect.  I am guessing that they are not yellow zinc like everything 1969 and later because the yellow zinc fastener kits sold by W&N state that they are for 1969 and later.

Alex

I wouldn’t trust Walloth as they sometimes spit back what is in RelOEM which can be highly inaccurate.  I would use yellow zinc.

• Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Actually, in 1967 those fasteners were all clear zinc (silver) or black. A few things might have been gold, possibly calipers and the clamp holding the outer base for the clear half shaft boots (the V band). Things didn't become consistently gold until after 1971.

I own a very original '67 1800 and everything is either black or clear zinc, and I'm restoring a '71 2800CS and almost everything on it is clear zinc except for a hand full of black bolts and the gold calipers. 

Edited by dfeigen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 66m10 said:

I can confirm this. On my unrestored 66 2000 most of the fasteners are black, the rest is clear zinc. 

That’s interesting. On my 67 most of the fasteners are also black with a few clear ones. I always assumed they’d all been replaced over the years. Or painted over - there was a PO who just loved black…

Edited by kiva667

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

For reference:

oil filter head

IMG_7948.thumb.JPG.384e237e25be3fb11407c

distributor housing

IMG_7951.thumb.JPG.b5cdd81ea1dc0449a4b75

alternator mount 

IMG_7950.thumb.JPG.cbc2210b432eab827a967

solex single bbl intake

IMG_7949.thumb.JPG.739c4b22d1854adef9cc4

rear main seal

IMG_7952.JPG

dip stick tube

IMG_7947.JPG

All the fasteners on my all original engine are black exept the ones for the alternator mount which are clear zinc. Btw all the bolts are either Verbus, Kamax, F&H or Ribe brand. I also know for sure that the front and rear  subframe hardware on my car is black as well. Now that i think about it there are very little bolts zinc plated on the car. 

Edited by 66m10

It appears that all of the early NK owners are in agreement.  A close examination of my own engine fasteners shows light surface rust and black finish where visible on almost all of them.  This certainly explains why there is no trace of yellow zinc.  I have Verbus, Kamax, F&H, and also some Graeka, FHS and Boesner brand bolts, so BMW was using many different suppliers of hardware at the time.  Thank you to everyone who has helped me to sort this out.

Alex