• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter 4070 electric fuel pump

Pdxguy

15 hours ago, Hans said:

How is the Carter for noise? 

Fully rubber isolated, it is still loud! With the engine running I cant hear it but with the engine is off, its pretty damn loud

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

1 hour ago, Stevenc22 said:

Fully rubber isolated, it is still loud! With the engine running I cant hear it but with the engine is off, its pretty damn loud

I'm using a Facet that sounds like a woodpecker in the trunk. Wondering if this would be better.

16 hours ago, Hans said:

How is the Carter for noise? 

Hans, I can only hear mine buzz a bit when I’ve got less than 1/4 tank of fuel (or if it’s very cold out, at startup until it’s warmed up). Mine’s isolation mounted low, in the open space right in front of the fuel tank. (lower than the fuel level in a full tank). I think my mounting location helps a lot to keep the noise at bay…

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I think it sitting above the tank, and reverberating in your open trunk, explains why it’s loud for you.  As I’d mentioned, it looks to be sensitive to fuel level and works more quietly when pushing vs pulling…

Tom

Mounting the pump with sound isolation mounts (not just rubber washers with a bolt thru) will reduce noise.  The air cleaner mounts for the single barrel carb are the softest, 2 barrel are pretty firm.  The stud that sticks out each side to not touch each other in the rubber, so the vibration is absorbed by the rubber.

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 hours ago, jimk said:

Mounting the pump with sound isolation mounts (not just rubber washers with a bolt thru) will reduce noise.  The air cleaner mounts for the single barrel carb are the softest, 2 barrel are pretty firm.  The stud that sticks out each side to not touch each other in the rubber, so the vibration is absorbed by the rubber.

Any pictures/links?

Thanks,

Dennis

1 hour ago, Pdxguy said:

Any pictures/links?

Thanks,

Dennis

Picture of what, the rubber mounts?  They are on Realoem if you don't have an oem air filter.  My pump for EFI isn't anything like those for a carb.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Iso-mounts look/work like this.  Pretty straightforward attachment. A set in M10 will run ya like $14...

On the Shuttle we used a slightly beefier version...lol  Depends on what you're isolating.

iso-mounts.jpg

aeroflex.jpeg

Edited by visionaut
Cut? CUT? They must mean SHEAR, no? lol