• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FUEL LINE CHECK VALVE SPECS ANYONE?

im3crazy

To prevent my fuel line from draining back into the gas tank, I'd like to install a check valve.  I've tried two, but they require more suction to open than the oem mechanical fuel pump can provide. 

Any ideas on a suitable check valve that's worked for you in the past?

Thanks. 

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

16 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Why do you feel you need one?

Dudeland,

I just wanted to try one to see if it would help to keep gas in the line between the sender and the mechanical pump.

You offered to send me one, but I've been waiting since 2018....so I guess you decided for me that I didn't need one.

John

I haven't found one that works well, either, with hose barbs on the ends.

That said, I have purchased several AN- fittinged check valves along these lines

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=AN check valve

that can be taken apart and the spring weakened or even removed so that

they don't provide much impediment to fuel going through them.

I used them when I ran multiple pumps on the race car.

They're big, and would need a lot of adapting, so I've never tried them with

the mechanical pump.  In THEORY, the mechanical pump should be able to hold

fuel in the line.  In PRACTICE, I've found, like you, that it usually doesn't.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

21 hours ago, John76 said:

Dudeland,

I just wanted to try one to see if it would help to keep gas in the line between the sender and the mechanical pump.

You offered to send me one, but I've been waiting since 2018....so I guess you decided for me that I didn't need one.

John

Found em.  They are all yours,  PM me and I will send them out to you free-o-charge. 

IMG_2768.JPG

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

• 2 weeks later...

John76: These look like the exact ones I tried that would not draw.  Please Let me know if they work for you. I actually had a hard time blowing through them. 

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

I tried "that style" and they worked fine, but removed it while troubleshooting and never put it back. 

The replacement (crappy) stubby Pierberg pump I'd bought was letting fuel drain back to the tank, but when I put the original back on, it worked as it should.  I'm still using that pump and the stubby one is saved in case the old one fails.  I dislike the little Pierberg pumps that are sold as replacements.  They do not clear the coolant hose that runs under them, so they are being heated up by it.  That's not a good thing.  What pump do you have Dave?  It ought to have its own built in check valve.

Tom

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I tried "that style" and they worked fine, but removed it while troubleshooting and never put it back. 

The replacement (crappy) stubby Pierberg pump I'd bought was letting fuel drain back to the tank, but when I put the original back on, it worked as it should.  I'm still using that pump and the stubby one is saved in case the old one fails.  I dislike the little Pierberg pumps that are sold as replacements.  They do not clear the coolant hose that runs under them, so they are being heated up by it.  That's not a good thing.  What pump do you have Dave?  It ought to have its own built in check valve.

Tom

I have  the stock  pump that i don't think has ever been rebuilt .  So it's probably due.  Inherently it should  hold  fuel  from draining back to the tank, but it's not .  It's time to do some troubleshooting, possibly  there s some  auction on the tank side, shouldn't be , but i will check .

John76: These look like the exact ones I tried that would not draw.  Please Let me know if they work for you. I actually had a hard time blowing through them. 

33 minutes ago, im3crazy said:

possibly  there s some  auction on the tank side, shouldn't be , but i will check .

How do you have the tank's vent line routed?  If it is capped, you could be creating a vacuum in the tank as fuel is drawn out of it.  (Just spitballin').

Tom