• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New '72 Tii engine running problems

20 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Every time I’ve had a hunting issue at idle it’s been a lean condition, could be a vacuum leak, so I ’d assume lean.

I setup my WUR via the Mike Macartney method, if you read his book it makes sense, as he says not all engines are factory fresh.

HTH

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

If you are positive that there are no vacuum leaks, consider temporarily raising your enrichment lever to add more fuel to feed the 2200 cc engine.  You should experience less and less hunting, until you have fully dialed it out.\

If you are successful with this method, you can reset your enrichment lever (2.6mm) and adjust the verboten screw to the same height as your temporary adjustment.  I would suggest marking your verboten screw before altering it.  

74 pump initial setting.jpg

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Mike -

On your suggestion, I verified my TDC mark (it was within 1/4 or a mark of dead on), and also that my 14 degrees BTDC mark was on (it was).  The MFI pump is within a 1/4 of a tooth of on it, I call it "on it".  

Mark -

I have been in conversation with the engine vendor.  It's a guy that likes to talk, so I just let him go and inevitably glean some good stuff from the conversation.  

Ray -

I am running Bosch WR6DCs.  

GWB -

Good call, I capped it off with no improvement, so the hose has been exonerated.  

Paul W, and All -

Well, after pulling the plugs, verifying all my marks, verifying MFI pump timing, resetting the ignition timing, setting the WUR back to stock, I started it up and it ran like a champ at 3000 rpms.  After some fiddling to get the idle down, I soon realized that my 5th injector was continuing to spray a minor amount, so I unplugged it - idle immediately went to 2000 rpms.  I fiddled with the idle speed and mixture screw for a bit.  On your suggestion, Mister Winterton, I messed with the v-screw, throttle stop and mixture screw to get a pretty nice 1000 rpm idle, all bangers working together for a change - oh, my what a relief.  Where the v-screw "used to be" has been lost to the sands of time, but when my AFR getup gets here, I will know lots more.  I can actually take a drive with an AFR gauge in my car.  At some point, I will mark and lock the v-screw down.  

Running like a charm, I dare say (without taking a road test - impending big rainstorm here)!  I have no idea what is different today.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Stein-man said:

I have been in conversation with the engine vendor.  It's a guy that likes to talk, so I just let him go and inevitably glean some good stuff from the conversation.

Your shop is a lot nicer than Jim's :),

When I inquired about rebuilding a transmission, he called me on a Sunday evening.  He is easy to get along with.

I dropped off a core transmission, all of his crew wasted a half hour examining my car.

Great you car is purring.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.