• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window Glass Adjustment in-and-out (not up and down)

I replaced my passenger window regulator today. YAY! 

But before I'd done that, a few weeks ago I replaced the rubber edging seals on the outer door frame. Yah know... the ones that press up against the glass on the top edge of the door itself. 

What I'm noticing is that there seems to be a lot of pressure against the glass, enough to where when you roll down the window it wants to roll and suck the new supple, slightly sticky seal into the door with it. 

Is there a way to adjust and relieve that outward pressure of the glass against the seal? 

Thanks!!!

-J

51 minutes ago, 72pdx02 said:

Did you see my post in here? That’s why I like to use a different scraper.

Ah... no I didn't see that, but thank you for sharing again!

2 hours ago, Buckeye said:

I am thinking you need to make some adjustment in the following area.

Yah... I was eyein' those. Anybody have experiences with messing with them for my issue before I go tinkerin'?

The lower adjustment won't move the glass at the base of the door.

It sets the position of the top of the window.

Moving the base inwards would require modifying the door shell, I seem to recall...

t

it's been more than a while, but I recall having the same problem with the then-

current lower window seal.  I think I used a Mustang part the 2nd time around...

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

10 hours ago, TobyB said:

The lower adjustment won't move the glass at the base of the door.

It sets the position of the top of the window.

Moving the base inwards would require modifying the door shell, I seem to recall...

Yaaah. That was kinda my thought too.. Triangle stuff and all. Move the bottom, pivots at the middle, adjusts fit at the top.

So unless there's some hardware that can be removed or slimmed down, I don't anticipate pullin that edge in. I'll just be careful till they UV harden a bit ?

I did  couple of columns on adjusting door glass so it will seal about as well as it ever will; PM me for a copy.  The window tracks can be adjusted in three planes:  up and down, in and out and fore and aft so there are lots of ways to get the glass sealing properly, and still go up and down easily.  It's tedious and takes more than a little time to get it right.  But it is do-able.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 1 year later...
On 5/23/2021 at 6:28 AM, Mike Self said:

I did  couple of columns on adjusting door glass so it will seal about as well as it ever will; PM me for a copy.

Hey Mike! I just got my first 2002 and one of the windows isn't sealing properly. I can't send PM's yet, because my account is too new, so I was hoping I might get a copy of the columns you did on the subject this way? :)