Hello all.  New to me 2002...runs beautifully...note the leak front casing...should I fix immediately....do something else when in here...don’t worry about it...be worried?..and second question..is that an OEM head..this motor  is out of a 1980 320 apparently.  No 2002s in my area to compare to.

3CC1DBA3-70A2-4996-A8FB-41CB3A591C95.jpeg

You should definitely aim to fix any oil leaks you have. 

Unfortunately your image isn't really telling me where it's actually leaking from thou. But if I had to guess maybe from the upper timing cover? there could be a few culprits as to why, depending on if it's coming from the top (valve cover gasket worn, upper timing cover not installed properly, or not machined to match the head-height after a rebuild) or bottom (cover not installed properly, RTV not applied to the bottom corners). 

Might be helpful to clean up the engine as best you can so that it's free of oil, run it a bit in the driveway, and look to see where your leak is originating from and let us know. 

• Like 1

As for your head. It's definitely going to be OEM, aka, BMW :) now... if it originally came from an 02 or otherwise, who knows. There should be some casting numbers on it that if shared will let those in the know, let you know. 

On the carb side of the head between #3 and #4 cylinders will be a cast in head type IE, 121 e21 e12 show us a pictue of that and the clock like casting in that area.

null

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about adjusting your subject line such that people who read it and may know the answer to your conundrums may be inclined to respond?

:P

😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your responses.  In my combination of excitement and anxiety to having my new to me car with a dozen issues you’d expect might overwhelm a new owner.....and a marque (forum) I am not familiar with,  my post/ thread  lacks the precision required - and should be limited be one topic - particularly on the subject line.  I will sort through the vehicle.