• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72' 2002 tii - rear red reflectors

coopersguy

US spec cars (>68?) got them and the side reflectors. Many cars have had them removed over the years. Personally, i like the lighted rear side markers from a safety perspective.

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

The reflectors were mandated by U.S. DOT standards. I cannot recall when, but I believe they appeared around the 1970 model year — I’m hoping @Mike Selfcan help us out on the dating. My ‘70 was extremely early (September 8, 1969) and did not have them, but I’m wondering if they appeared by January 1, 1970, when the red-centered taillights and flush turn signals were banished in favor of amber-centered tailllghts and bulge turn signals.

So the reflectors were not found on the earlier cars, and were not found on square taillight cars, because complying reflectors were built into the square taillights. So the rear reflectors are only on U.S.-spec cars from the 1970(?) through 1973 model years.

In an effort to make U.S.-spec cars look more “Euro”, many owners have removed the reflectors. But the reflectors’ presence has nothing to do with sub-model — e.g., 2002 vs. 2002tii — and everything to do with the car’s manufacturing date. And they only appeared on U.S.-spec cars.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

My ‘70 was extremely early (September 7, 1969) and did not have them, but I’m wondering if they appeared by January 1, 1970, when the red-centered taillights and flush turn signals were banished in favor of amber-centered tailllghts and bulge turn signals.

Steve, you're absolutely correct.  My Feb 69 car doesn't have the extra reflectors, and has red center tail lights, just like the 68s (which don't have side reflectors either).  I kinda thought early 70s still had red center tail lights (using up stock), as BMW back then waited until the 1 January date to meet new Federal requirements rather than incorporating the changes at the beginning of the model year in September.  Thus "first and second series" '69s and '70s.  My '69 was assembled in February, but was only 40 cars from the last "first series" '69--they were assembled from 1 Sept to 31 Dec.  Perhaps BMW didn't assemble any US spec cars in January...or they fudged assembly dates just a little to use up stock.

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

image.jpegI’m one of those guilty whom has removed the reflectors and took off the rear bumper overriders for the cleaner Euro look that I like.  I have saved all of the parts so if a future owner prefers the USA look, they can easily be re-installed. 

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

... I kinda thought early 70s still had red center tail lights (using up stock), as BMW back then waited until the 1 January date to meet new Federal requirements rather than incorporating the changes at the beginning of the model year in September.  Thus "first and second series" '69s and '70s.  My '69 was assembled in February, but was only 40 cars from the last "first series" '69--they were assembled from 1 Sept to 31 Dec.  Perhaps BMW didn't assemble any US spec cars in January...or they fudged assembly dates just a little to use up stock....

Thanks, Mike,

Yes my very early ‘70 (VIN 1668093, September 8, 1969) had both red-center taillights, dated August 13, 1969 (photo below), and flush front turn signals.

Best regards,

Steve

76EC5046-CA3C-4978-B564-474FCCEBC84A.jpeg

43661710-751E-4DB0-BBF3-6B8A3A8C385C.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)