• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rhode Island Wiring - Complete 2002 Harness

Shawn Piper

I've seen a few threads about sourcing a new harness but I haven't seen anyone sharing what was delivered.  My 1969 6-fuse harness was pretty cut up. I got a donor harness from a member on the FAQ but it was very brittle. I figured I would just have it remade.

I emailed and called a few places (Autosparks, Wiring Works, etc). No one would touch my project. Finally, I tried Rhode Island Wiring, but they were pretty specific in that I need to fully document the harness before sending it to them.  

So, on to documentation.  First I found the correct wiring diagrams (thank you to whoever posted this)

File_000 (2).jpeg

Then I cleaned the harness with acetone and re-bundled it with zip ties. I used my wife's label maker to label the ends per the wiring diagram

File_000 (1).jpeg

Then I sent off the harness and documentation to Rhode Island Wiring. 

3 months later, I got this.... Very nicely packaged and documented harnesses in the correct colors and tape!

File_003.jpeg

File_001 (1).jpeg

File_000 (4).jpeg

They also sent back the original harness and connectors, if not used.  

File_000 (5).jpeg

I've since inspected the harness and its perfect.  The grommets are in the right place as well.  As for the price... this was the first 6-fuse 2002 harness they had made and it cost quite a bit.  However, relative to the price of restoring a car, it wasn't too bad.  Definitely worth it.  

• Like 7

That looks like a high quality job, as nice or nicer than I've seen, should outlast  your car, would you care to give us a idea of the price range?

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• 1 month later...

I have to imagine there are others who would pay to have one made based on your experience. I'm actually looking at this very thing, for a 69 to boot. Any reason to believe your harness was not stock in some aspect?

3 hours ago, Pdxguy said:

I have to imagine there are others who would pay to have one made based on your experience. I'm actually looking at this very thing, for a 69 to boot. Any reason to believe your harness was not stock in some aspect?

My harness was totally stock and we verified it against the wiring diagram before we remade it. I’ve installed it now and it’s fantastic. 

The only recommendation that I have is to be clear where you want grommets installed. I would also provide the grommets too— they won’t cut your original harness to get them off. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 7:00 AM, Pdxguy said:

Do you have an order number I might reference as it would be a copy of your order?

I called Travis at Rhode Island - he is very helpful and appreciative of Shawn's post!  He said he could get me Shawn's harness exactly in 12 weeks but same prices Shawn paid.  2500 or so.  He does not get a return until about 4 completed projects.  So.... I have some ideas - a group buy?  I have a '70.  I "think"it is the same as a "69"?   Surely the same number of fuses.  ?.   Are there four of us here that are interested in a group buy of a 69 harness for their car?  Perhaps we could get the price down...  Travis also said if I sent him my harness it would add about 4 weeks to the process of him duplicating it.  He also recommended I go to Steel Rubber Products for the Grommets - they are not included and they are pricey but great product.

What harnesses went to what year cars - a question for the historians here?  Real OEMers chime in please?