• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chamonix 2002 on BAT

Craig_2

I do have a question. The 1972 is listed as original owner. Listed as a 1972 with original dealer paperwork from 1972. Photo in auction. VIN is 2573360.

There is also a 1971 on BAT with VIN 2573605 listed as a 1971. 

Is the earlier VIN 2573360 listed as 1972 model because that’s when it was sold? Sold 2/26 or 28 / 1972 from photo in auction.

No BMW Group Classic info on the 1972. 

I have a 2002 very close to 2573605 probably built the same day/week with info from BMW Group Classic that it was built Mid May 1971 and imported to Hoffman Motor Cars Late May 1971.

4 hours ago, Ensign said:

Yes, it appears to be a 1971 model, probably built in early May of 1971. The bill of sale is 02/1972, so it looks like a leftover 1971 model that was titled as a 1972 model.

+1

Thanks to the dealer, who inadvertently or intentionally mis-labelled a 1971 model as a 1972 model, this car, probably an early May 1971 example, is mis-titled. My ‘70 was mis-titled as a ‘69, so mis-titles cut both ways! I notice that the emissions tuning sticker, at the right end of the heater/defroster plenum, is missing. But that would have also vouched that this is a 1971 model.

There are jurisdictions — the U.K. might be one of them — where the date of initial registration determines the appropriate year on the title. I don’t believe these jurisdictions include any U.S. states.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

BaT is magical isn't it? It's all about the presentation and scenery in the pictures there. I mentioned that in a recent auction for an e28 that sold for almost $14k. It had rusty floor panels that had been pop riveted and spray painted, and rusty door seams wearing plenty of make up as well. The interior was redone in a blinding red that didn't come close to matching the original door cards (which is okay for a driver) and the cluster was held in place by screws that looked more like roofing nails. I think it also had somewhere around 220k miles. But it presented nicely in the pictures so the bidders ate it up. I sold my e28 on mye28.com for 11k and it was a much better car. Maybe I'll try BaT one day. With my luck there would be nationwide internet outage with 10 min to go in my auction, or a historic stock market crash that morning. ?

• Like 1