• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X5 question how bad can they be ?

Flamingo 5

West:  a lot of it is pretty straightforward,  x outpost is a great website for diy.  When it gets really complicated, I have to have some help.  But the general maintenance and things like window regulators and door handles become pretty easy (kind of like fixing stuck and broken window sliders on an e36, which I can do in a matter of minutes now!)

• Thanks 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

23 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Nothing more expensive than an inexpensive originally expensive BMW or Ferrari.

Actually, I think Ferrari still wins this by a considerable margin.  A friend of my dads had a 348, and the timing belt service interval was something really low, like 20k miles or so. But the real kicker: the mid-mounted quad cam meant dropping the engine out the bottom in order to access it!!! ?

They are awful. My coworker would have to work on his and his sisters like every other weekend. Our X5M caught fire and needed a major rebuild(BMW did cover it).  They nickle and dime you to death but those nickles and dimes are more like $20's and $100's. You are better off owning a bicycle.

• Like 1

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

2 hours ago, evil02 said:

They are awful. My coworker would have to work on his and his sisters like every other weekend. Our X5M caught fire and needed a major rebuild(BMW did cover it).  They nickle and dime you to death but those nickles and dimes are more like $20's and $100's. You are better off owning a bicycle.

I'm going to put you down as a "No"... ?

Bought a new 2010 X5 diesel (so E70). Ordered it with every option: $73K (that was a lot of money 10 years ago; now it's a Camry! ?). Took BMW Performance Center delivery. Gorgeous dark blue. Put 100,000 miles on it in three years. Had a 100,000-mile BMW extended warranty. Thank heavens. BMW replaced lots of expensive engine bits. When I went to trade it, I was shocked at trade-in prices from two BMW dealers, against new X5's: $17K and $18K. Three years old. Not a nick on the car. Perfect leather. But 100,000 miles. The trade-in value was so low that I considered keeping it as an extra vehicle: it was an utterly fabulous cruiser on my Maine-New York-Georgia runs. I asked my service adviser. He said, "Don't even think about it".

Funny thing is: I really loved that vehicle! But without the extended warranty, fuggetaboutit... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

My beloved E39 (also a 2002 model)  started exhibiting several of the normal mid life engine issues as well as other stuff.

It has the same M54 engine as my 2002 X5. I didn't want to deal with it, Much rather expend time and resources on my 02.

Drove it up to a dealer I like near Portland and asked about trading it in...  To them it had no trade in value, got $800 trade in credit on a 2016 Kia Sportage with 21,000 miles.

They sent my E39 I brought home from Germany straight to auction. Kind of sad but I'm over it. 

I love the Kia and more to the point, my wife is delighted with it!  Should have done it sooner.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

M54 is one of the good BMW engines. It has its' flaws but they are rather easy and cheap to fix, such as vanos seals, disa flap and the breather system  in cold climate. Only thing that it's a bit sluggish for such a heavy body as X5. V8 option gives more challenge but there's diy instructions for any issue of these "old" engines. Good chance for those who like preventive maintenance and a some overservice.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

2 hours ago, evil02 said:

“They nickle  and dime” ? They who you are referring to is the dealership?

im more into diy 

5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

M54 is one of the good BMW engines. It has its' flaws but they are rather easy and cheap to fix, such as vanos seals, disa flap and the breather system  in cold climate. Only thing that it's a bit sluggish for such a heavy body as X5. V8 option gives more challenge but there's diy instructions for any issue of these "old" engines. Good chance for those who like preventive maintenance and a some overservice.

Thanks for your reply 

so you believe these are easy maintained by a vintage hack like me?

im considering one today 

Yes, I think so. I had a 2002 330i for 8 years and then 2003 X5 for a year, both M54. I did all the mentioned repairs but didn't have any other engine issues. e46 had the typical sticking shifter too but nothing that couldn't be fixed. 

If you are dead set on one I recommend you buy a good fault code reader. Very helpful and you will need it.

Good luck on your new adventure.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yes, I think so. I had a 2002 330i for 8 years and then 2003 X5 for a year, both M54. I did all the mentioned repairs but didn't have any other engine issues. e46 had the typical sticking shifter too but nothing that couldn't be fixed. 

So, you changed a rear main seal? I mentioned it?

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

27 minutes ago, tech71 said:

So, you changed a rear main seal? I mentioned it?

Sorry. Just the ones I mentioned. ?

But could have done it while the tranny was out to fix the shifter plungers. That was a bit shitty job.

+1 for INPA cable

Edited by Tommy

24 minutes ago, Tommy said:

But could have done it while the tranny was out to fix the shifter plungers. That was a bit shitty job.

+1 for INPA cable

That reminds me, I forgot to mention the dreaded "Transmission Failsafe" warning/mode.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

2 hours ago, tech71 said:

got $800 trade in credit on a 2016 Kia Sportage

Ooof, I'm glad your wife likes the Sportage and all, but $800 for turning an E39 into a Kia really kinda makes my soul hurt ?

+1 on M54s being easier to deal with than the M62s.  That 22mm bolt that holds the crank pulley to the nose of the crankshaft is known as 'The Jesus Bolt' for a good reason. . .

04e18c81540eea4d15f403bd37a25f0f.jpg

(^Not mine just for reference!)

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy
Added Pic

2 hours ago, West Palm 2002 said:

“They nickle  and dime” ? They who you are referring to is the dealership?

im more into diy 

No, the car does. Who goes to the dealer?  lol... 

Regardless of if you do the work or not, both your time and the parts are worth money.

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...