• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this tubing for?

Wilbur25

Hey All,

I was working on my car this week and noticed this metal tube that had rusted through.  It turns into a rubber tube and exits out next to the oil pan and the other end does not seem to be connected to anything.  It routes around the back of the engine on both sides and underneath the carb. I was wondering if I can pull it out or if it needs to actually be connected up.

Thanks for any help!

1972 2002 Chamonix

IMG_3395.jpeg

IMG_3397.jpeg

IMG_3403.jpeg

If that pipe is rusted through and the connection at the exhaust manifold isn't plugged (IIRC a US quarter makes a good plug) you're gonna have an exhaust leak via that rusted pipel

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for the info! I will check and see if the exhaust manifold is capped off. Can I then just remove all of that tubing and be good to go? Also, it looks like there are a couple of plugged lines coming off of the carb, is this related to the removal of smog equipment?

AC5506F7-1CD8-4873-88EB-5BD045E725FD.jpeg

AB550765-F858-477E-9215-928DCB561A6D.jpeg

19 hours ago, Wilbur25 said:

Can I then just remove all of that tubing and be good to go? Also, it looks like there are a couple of plugged lines coming off of the carb, is this related to the removal of smog equipment?

Yes you can remove them all as long as connection at exhaust manifold is plugged.

Your 2nd question, I circled a couple possible connection you mentioned. The one on the left at the bottom of intake used to be connected to hose (item #26, schematic above). You could remove the fitting at the base of intake and plug it too. Other one on the right not sure what it is.

AC5506F7-1CD8-4873-88EB-5BD045E725FD.thumb.jpeg.e51c2714c67c6115a97fafa1774db7b4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

• 4 months later...

Now that Ive got the carb off for a rebuild, does anyone know of a place to buy some bits to cap off those holes or know of the thread so I can plug it up? Should I look for some kind of rubber cap for the rubber hose on the left and right?