• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear bumper question

I’m having my 2002 bumpers chrome plated. The plater said there is a hole in the rear bumper that he thinks should be welded up. I can’t recall if this was used for something or was drilled by a previous owner.  In fact I don’t remember seeing it at all. Anyone know?

Bumpers go on a US spec 1969 model. Hole is circled in photo. 

946A980C-406A-4022-879F-E902A77F99E5.jpeg

Cool thanks. I have another question...

The plater says they usually chrome the front and leave the backside rough (usually paint the backsides silver or black). He can chrome backside for an additional fee. Any recommendations for doing this? What did BMW do at the factory?

The back of early chrome bumpers should be grey.  As for the hole, if it’s on the top surface on the driver side maybe it’s for a rear fog light?

Edited by 02fanatic
  • Like 2

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I've seen original bumpers with silver paint on the back sides, and also with a semi-glossy light grey--almost primer color but not flat.  It doesn't seem to have anything to do with year of production; I suspect that BMW bought bumpers from two different suppliers, and one painted 'em silver, the other grey.  I've even seen 'em mismatched on the same car:  silver center, grey end pieces, or vice versa...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

After reading what Mike wrote I went back to the garage to look at my front bumper end pieces. They are a dirty gray color, not like the center section. I took this picture to show the difference side by side.  My back bumper is silver/gray on all sections. 

70EC1A63-124B-4CE8-A7CD-4BF9CE9AAC50.jpeg

Edited by 72pdx02