• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission tunnel size on early cars

Dionk

Does any one know if the transmission  tunnel on a 68 1600 (sept 67 build) is more narrow then later models -

i just measured my 68 and it’s about 8inches where  my 71 is closer to 9.5 - hard to measure and take a picture at the same time. 

71 2002 picture (dirty ) 68 1600 (cleanish)

225EC3FB-B729-4182-967D-CEF3EB294A43.jpeg

C390C0B1-655F-4261-A068-2D4F0E51EAC5.jpeg

Both my '68 cars are definitely narrower than my '72 car was. When i 5 speed swapped the '68 2002 i couldn't use the same transmission crossmember mounts that i had fabbed when i swapped the '72. If i remember correctly, i even had to make one of them bolt in so i could add it after the trans was in. The trans wouldn't go in from the bottom with the mounts in place. Very snug fit in the early tunnels.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, halboyles said:

.  Are the mounting brackets perhaps moved to accommodate a 5-speed?

Apologies - should have mentioned I’m installing the getrag 245. The bracket is one from a kit.

5 minutes ago, Dionk said:

Do you recall whether you removed the old trans mounts?

I believe that I did have to cut off the original mounts. 

ill be glad to make a copy of this template and mail it to you if you are interested, or something similar. I used all stock parts and I think narrowed the stock cross member too. Maybe. 

• Like 1

Dion- looks like you have the newest Blunt Mount.  I had to trim the ends of mine to fit the tunnel of my 69.   

So  I do believe BMW widened the tunnel for the Model 71 cars.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"