• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting mild stretch on 15x7’s?

Mucci

I’m looking to run a ____/50-15 tire on my 15x7 wheels. I need a little stretch for clearance but in the US it looks like the only options are a 195 or 165??? 

Does anyone stateside make an inbetween width with a 50 sidewall? The 165 would be way too narrow. I feel like a 185 or 175 would be great but when I search for these they’re not available in the US or are from a company I’ve never heard of.  

Or is there a more narrow 195 that will stretch a bit on that wheel? The S-Drives arent stretched at all. 

Edited by Mucci

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

1 hour ago, Steven Hage said:

I use a 195/45/15 on my wheels and there isn't much of a stretch on the 15x7 but there's a baby stretch on the 15x8

Thanks Steve but I’m not sure how any of that info helps me. 

Keep in mind that sidewall height is proportional to tread width. If you want something close in rolling diameter to a 195/50r15, but narrower, you may actually want to look for something other than a 50 series tire.

However, most tire mfrs will show 195 being the narrowest tire that will fit a 7" wide wheel.

I did see an exception from a well known brand on Tire Rack, but it looks like you’ll be shopping All-Seasons rather than Summer tires.

And not all 195s are the same actual width. S-drives are on the wider end of the range if I recall correctly.

Tire Rack does a great job of publishing tire dimensions. Good luck in your hunt.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

3 hours ago, Mucci said:

I’m looking to run a ____/50-15 tire on my 15x7 wheels. I need a little stretch for clearance but in the US it looks like the only options are a 195 or 165??? 

Does anyone stateside make an inbetween width with a 50 sidewall? The 165 would be way too narrow. I feel like a 185 or 175 would be great but when I search for these they’re not available in the US or are from a company I’ve never heard of.  

Or is there a more narrow 195 that will stretch a bit on that wheel? The S-Drives arent stretched at all. 

What is(are) the company(ies) that you never heard of? You may be surprised on how many tire manufacturers there really are, and they market under different brands.  

Stolen from Wikipedia: 

Sumitomo rubber: Blacklion Tires (USA), Dunlop (Japan, Latin America, Asia and Africa), Falken,[71] Goodyear (Japan), Sumitomo, Multi-Mile, Sigma, Cordovan, Vanderbilt, Ohtsu, Solar

Michelin: BFGoodrich,[48] Kleber,[49] Kormoran (Poland), Michelin, Orium, Riken,[50] Taurus (Hungary), Uniroyal (North America), Tigar Tyres, Strial, Sebring, Stomil Olsztyn (Poland)

Bridgestone: Bridgestone,[5][6][7] Firestone, Fuzion, Seiberling (Latin America), Uniroyal (Australia), Dayton, Supercat (Australia and New Zealand), Fireforce (South Africa)

Continental: Continental,[14][15] Barum, Euzkadi, General Tire, Gislaved, Mabor, Matador, Point S,[16] Semperit, Sime Tyres, Viking, Uniroyal(Europe), Sportiva, Ameri*Steel, ContiRe, ContiTread, Hoosier Racing Tire

Interesting how many different companies make Uniroyal tires.. 

Not to say that the quality may equivalent, but some tires do run off the same production lines. Sometimes "off brands" can yield good results. 

I hope you find what you are looking for. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Vicleonardo1
clarity

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Not sure of this brand Accelera? Based in Indonesia. 

But I like the tread design. Looks like a summer tire to me. 

175/50/R15

Stolen from Amazon: $58

https://www.amazon.com/Accelera-Phi-Performance-Radial-Tire/dp/B076VKBLVH/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=175%2F50%2F15&qid=1587325327&sr=8-2

Edited by Vicleonardo1

3 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Not sure of this brand Accelera? Based in Indonesia. 

But I like the tread design. Looks like a summer tire to me. 

175/50/R15

Stolen from Amazon: $58

https://www.amazon.com/Accelera-Phi-Performance-Radial-Tire/dp/B076VKBLVH/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=175%2F50%2F15&qid=1587325327&sr=8-2

Right, those are the ones I'm seeing and have never heard of, along with "Presa" tires. They also make a 175/50-15 "all season".

e905db6d-4c8d-4ce8-a4f4-ceaec4bae804_1.6

Looks like they're Taiwanese and made by Cheng Shin Rubber, who I've actually heard of from the motorcycle world. Apparently they own Maxxis who makes some great moto tires. 

Edited by Mucci

That Accelera looks like a much more sport oriented tire but I have no idea who they are. Their company profile is "budget tires for cars and buses" and they've only been in business since '96. Anyone have experience with these?

41wgAV1Kp5L._AC_.jpg

I trust Cheng Shin but maannnn that Presa tread just screams Honda Odyssey. 

1 minute ago, Lorin said:

Why not just run a tire that is the correct size for the wheel ? Crazy idea, I know. 

That IS a good idea! Thanks for valuing the thing you wanted to say over the parameters of my question!! Your voice has been heard!

Would you be OK with the amount of stretch?

Maybe worth a $232 gamble? 

Maybe I will see them on your ride at a PNW event (when ever those come back).

Keep us posted on what happens. 

Cheers!