• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old AC Compressor?

RMBaiada

I have updated my 1974 BMW 2002 air Conditioning, and was curious if there is any reason to keep the original mid 1970s AC compressor and condenser? The compressor is huge and the condenser is a tube type.

Are these worth anything to anybody or are they just trash?

Michael

That old York piston compressor will make a nice splash when tossed in the neighbor's pool...get a rotary--draws less power, puts out more cold, weighs less and doesn't make the engine rock as much.

See archive postings on how large a condenser you can stuff into a 2002...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There is a market for York dual pistons to make into under- hood air compressors for off- roaders.

I don't know that it's an actual 'market', might just be a 'reuse is better than spending $1500 on a real compressor' thing.

I have one I'm hanging onto to see if I can do it.  Mostly for fun.  Somewhat for compressed air at the race track.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL