• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust leak!

berjkara

That's too bad. I think you're gonna have to sell the car. Good luck.

Pls disclose the issue to any interested buyers.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

9 minutes ago, ray_ said:

That's too bad. I think you're gonna have to sell the car. Good luck.

Pls disclose the issue to any interested buyers.

I didn’t word this correctly at all. Does anyone know of any sites that sell replacement donut and flanges? Mine are worn and need replacing ?

Two things.  Your downpipe flange is bent, and the exhaust pipe looks like it is not lined up or maybe it's oversize.

Temp2.jpg.ff6003836ec5c9554c70e831ae50cd6b.jpg

That seal must be 100% to stop leakage.  In my experience, it's usually the wrong or poor quality donut at fault.

In your case you'll need to straighten that flange, or get a new downpipe.  Try @PaulWegweiser for OEM.  Buy the donut from him too and be assured that it's correct.

This is not the greatest picture to see the joint, but you can see that the flanges are close together, 3/16" gap max.

Temp3.jpg.35e24e1918a98bef09d4d94207987721.jpg

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

25 minutes ago, berjkara said:

I didn’t word this correctly at all. Does anyone know of any sites that sell replacement donut and flanges? Mine are worn and need replacing ?

That's better :D

What Paul said, or use Steve at Blunttech. Both excellent sources of knowledge and proper parts.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

13 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Two things.  Your downpipe flange is bent, and the exhaust pipe looks like it is not lined up or maybe it's oversize.

Temp2.jpg.ff6003836ec5c9554c70e831ae50cd6b.jpg

That seal must be 100% to stop leakage.  In my experience, it's usually the wrong or poor quality donut at fault.

In your case you'll need to straighten that flange, or get a new downpipe.  Try @PaulWegweiser for OEM.  Buy the donut from him too and be assured that it's correct.

This is not the greatest picture to see the joint, but you can see that the flanges are close together, 3/16" gap max.

Temp3.jpg.35e24e1918a98bef09d4d94207987721.jpg

PaulW may tell you that there are leaks and then there are leaks.  Much depends upon the size of any leak.  Before condemning anything I would consider disassembling the connection and examining all mating surfaces.  Some irregularities might be made usable by readjustment, a wire brush and/or with a simple application of exhaust sealant.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rcf925 said:

I just bought a generic donut at muffler shop, As long as you tighten evenly no problems

The stock donut was steel, as opposed to the more typical squishy composite style.  The steel one will require having stock pieces mating up, with the appropriate shape for that donut.  Back when I ordered a new one from Blunt, Steve said, "you know they are reusable, right?"  I added one to my order anyway, but wound up just reusing the original.

Some of your problem with it leaking there might have to do with the alignment of the pipes.  Ideally, they are running parallel at that joint, but it allows for some misalignment.  If you can loosen up those three bolts and get the pipes to line up as best you can and then tighten down the bolts evenly, trying to keep the plates parallel, you might be able to seal it up as is.  The plate on the stock resonator is loose, fitting over a flare in the end of the pipe; so it is movable.  If you have aftermarket parts there, the soft 'generic' donut will be the way to go.

080.thumb.JPG.8def1d8e31570abf18970bf32621af9f.JPG

EDIT:

Looking back at the OP's photo, I see that the joint is not part of an original resonator; so the original steel donut won't work.  There's probably a generic soft one in there now. 

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...