• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fire suppression options for a road car

Sahara

14 hours ago, Dudeland said:

What about something like this. 

image.thumb.png.b6eb05188a506a57575568ee15345234.png

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lfl-106-001-001

great for race car.  gross overkill for street car.   some serious issues in street car.

- if you do need to use it, the car will be totaled anyway.  AFFF makes a huge mess,  HUGE mess.  in a race car that you can basically hose out, less of a problem.  street car with an interior....yikes..you are done.

-accidental light off.  race car.  one driver.  knows what handles are for.  pull handles are pinned unless car is on track.  even with that, there is an occasional missfire.  in a street car?  no way.  strange passengers, guest driver, spectators in a show, kids, whoever..."hey!  what does this red thing do?"   boom! you are done.  

don't put a race fire system in a street car.  if your street car is on fire, get out and call your insurance company.

• Like 1

2xM3

I"ll state the obvious.

Halon evacuates oxygen in a closed car it could kill you, race cars are windows down.

Street use a small co2 extinguisher might be your best bet.

And lord knows a cold beer can save your life.

5 hours ago, mlytle said:

great for race car.  gross overkill for street car.   some serious issues in street car.

- if you do need to use it, the car will be totaled anyway.  AFFF makes a huge mess,  HUGE mess.  in a race car that you can basically hose out, less of a problem.  street car with an interior....yikes..you are done.

-accidental light off.  race car.  one driver.  knows what handles are for.  pull handles are pinned unless car is on track.  even with that, there is an occasional missfire.  in a street car?  no way.  strange passengers, guest driver, spectators in a show, kids, whoever..."hey!  what does this red thing do?"   boom! you are done.  

don't put a race fire system in a street car.  if your street car is on fire, get out and call your insurance company.

I never considered putting nozzles inside the car,  just outside like top of engine,  both sides,  especially my future turbo site.   Definitely a problem if you put it inside the cabin.    

I have seen ones that foam for the inside, there is a funny video of one of these going off unexpectedly in a race car. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

3 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Ok, now that I've been schooled, I'll remove the Home Depot FE from my car. 

temp.jpg.be7771a5d561142fdb2c011573e4b6b1.jpg 

I keep a home depot fire extinguisher in car similar to that one but I think bigger , type BC with sodium bicarbonate as the extinguishing agent. When heated, sodium bicarbonate makes water, sodium carbonate(Washing Soda), and CO2 gas which is the fire extinguishing part so its theoretically relatively harmless in terms of corrosion.

But I agree with many others on the main point, if its a big fire let it burn.