• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

roundie rear license plate mounting bracket/plate?

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Most dealers drilled two holes in the rear panel before delivering the car. That's how mine came. I put a couple of thick (3/8") rubber grommets behind the plate--that makes it clear both the paint below and the aluminum trim above--and keeps the plate from rattling.

In front I cut out a thick piece of aluminum ((1/4") the same size as the plate, and drilled it to match the bumper holes so that the plate is positioned half above and half below the bumper. Looks much better than all above or all below the bumper...

Mike

• 12 years later...
16 minutes ago, fastricky said:

Bringing this topic back... anyone have any links to a rear bracket (no lights)?

There is a Mercedes part that seems to work - https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/134984-what-did-you-do-to-your-2002-today/?page=293#comment-1181268

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I think the MB part is the trick solution. Australian plates are a slightly different size to US. With additional holes drilled into the centre of the shortest edges, this spans the two factory holes in the humps in the rear panel. I then installed some self adhesive EPDM draft proof seal around the outside. This protects the paint and deals with different parts of the rear panel at different depths. 

Sorry, I don't have any decent photos to hand that show this. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

26 minutes ago, fastricky said:

Now that I realize the wholes are actually slightly wider than the plate itself I don't know what to do aside from fabricating a custom item? Ever see this sort of hole placement?

Thos extra holes are meant for the euro license mount. Euro cars also don't have the same license lighting ...they have lights on the bumper