• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 BMW 2002 for sale

bjbarbieri

2 hours ago, bjbarbieri said:

? Yeah i don’t know.  I suppose if someone would like to buy it and put a 1600 badge back on the back and an old longneck diff, small control arms, a different driveshaft, and the old brake booster up near the grills and have the dmv change the title to say 1600 you could.  OR you could just buy it and enjoy it as is.   

I don’t believe that you mis-titled the car. I suspect some earlier owner had an opportunity — say, a change of state — and figured “Hey, its a 2002 now. Why not register it as such?” And so it happened.

By the by, items such as the remote brake booster, long-neck differential, etc., were not generally functions of sub-model (1600-2 vs. 2002). Rather, they were generally functions of manufacturing date. For instance, both 1600-2’s and 2002’s had longneck differentials until January 1969, when both sub-models switched to the newer short-neck differentials and rear subframes.

I’ve told the following story too many times before: My 1970 ‘02 was incorrectly titled as a 1969 by the Pennsylvania DOT. I asked them to correct it. Pennsylvania agreed. My new title came back with the car registered as a 1971. I told them they had “overshot the runway”. They corrected it again. The second new title said 1969. I moved on...

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It’s the only BMW in the world that won the only autoX at Vintage, ever. 

.. there’s that. 

and guys, BJ has been around this scene longer than a good percentage of the owners on this page. You all know him. If not personally, either by name or face. 

The car came to him titled as is. No harm no foul. And I am sure his reference to early parts are purely hyperbole. Eeeesh

D2DDDA5F-DE73-477E-80E8-0BBBBBB8A8E8.png

Edited by eurotrash
  • Like 4

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

BJ’s car beat my tii on that Vintage Autocross session? (I forgot to air up the tires?).  We had lots of fun at the Wake Forest University parking lot.

The new owner of this car should enjoy it “as is”. It’s a great car that should be driven like any other 2002 (or 1600) (or 1602).

• Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Gentlemen (and ladies)

By the time BJ's car was built as a very early 1970 1600, the only differences between 1600s and 2002s in the US market were the following:

• 1600 cc engine with a 38mm Solex carb, vs 2000 cc with a 40mm Solex
  • 4.11 short neck diff vs 3.64
  • 200 mm rear drums vs 230mm
  • clock instead of tach
  • 3 position seat backs vs fully reclining
  • front & rear sway bars
  • mechanically actuated clutch vs hydraulic

As far as I can remember, that's it.  At some time in BJ's car's career, someone dropped a 2 liter engine in (and possibly a 3.64 diff).  The engine number will tell us that for sure, and what year car the engine came from.  And while the pictures don't show it, I'll wager there's a tach in the dash, replacing the clock.  In fact it's possible a PO went whole hog (especially if he/she had a 2002 parts car to scavenge from) and installed the larger rear brakes, sway bars, reclining seats etc, and gilded the lily by putting that 2002 badge on the rear body panel and having it titled as a 2002

I don't believe BJ is attempting to perpetrate any kind of deception--if he were, why would he post pictures showing what's obviously a 1600 VIN?  Anyway, knowing BJ as I do, he wouldn't.  So basically what we have here is a 1600 shell that previous owners have brought--to a greater or lesser extent--up to 2002 specs.  No more, no less.  It's not an "all original" car, nor is it so described.  It is what it is.

Now that we all know that, please return to the previously scheduled program.  ?

mike

• Like 6

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Wholeheartedly agree with the above - nothing nefarious going on here. I had the same thing happen with my 1967 1600-02. I'd guess most DMV records only show the "2002" model and not the "1600-02" as options when recording the vehicle stats. It really depends on when you catch it. I bought mine as a CA-titled 1600-02, sent in the title for transfer (to Illinois), and it came back as a 2002 model. There was no State inspection or anything like that, they just made the "adjustment" themselves hundreds of miles away without having ever seen the car. Had this already happened years and owners ago, I doubt I'd have made any effort to change it.

But since it was kind of a shock when the new title arrived, for the heck of it I called the IL state motor vehicle dept, talked to someone who actually listened (very rare), and they helped me draft a letter. When I sent the title back with the letter, I also included a copy of my inquiry with BMW Classic stating its production specs as a 1600-02, and they actually sent me a new and corrected title. 

So, it's possible to get this changed to what the chassis stamp says (with just a letter and an email from BMW Classic, to be honest), if it matters to the new buyer. Or at least it's possible in Illinois on the day I did it, which was a full moon on a Tuesday in early March with Mercury rising and a heart full of hope. YMMV : )

Happy to send the new owner a draft of my letter if that will help. 

Edited by Johnny Haywire
  • Like 1