• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road going ITB setup

SydneyTii

Can anyone identify the manifold shown in the attached photos?  It came with the car, many years ago, and was used with dual Mikuni side drafts.  It had a cable type throttle connection.

The distance across the top flanges, from outside to outside is 96 mm (with the vernier square on the DCOE flange face).  Similarly, the distance across the bottom flanges is 79 mm

On the third photo (the underside), the flanges connecting the intakes together were raised between the 2nd and the 3rd intakes, and were connected by a flange of the same height running along the intake - providing a square 'box' that protruded a bit above the rest of the casting.

There are no identifying marks, anywhere.

Jeff ground the 'box' away to eliminate interference to the injector bosses, a greater surface area, and more flexibility in positioning the bosses around the intakes.

I'd like to know who made it, in case this whole exercise is successful and someon else is interested in duplicating our efforts

I had the manifold bolted onto the head this evening, and we should have plenty of clearance to the alternator, but not much to the metal/rubber heater hose below the intake to cylinder number 4.  We've got a bit more flexibility in positioning this injector as we'll be able to rotate it up a bit towards the firewall as there's nothing in the way there.  If necessary, we'll 'partition' the metal heater hose line to move the rear bend further towards the firewall, 20230611_225625BMW2002manifoldsmal.thumb.jpg.ae89445836e77b622f6e9888c4ae989c.jpg20230611_225659small.thumb.jpg.4eeac54d870795dcbdd7a22240910310.jpgand reconnect with 3/4" hose and a swack of clamps.

.20230611_225659small.thumb.jpg.4eeac54d870795dcbdd7a22240910310.jpg

20230611_225643 small.jpg

20230611_225712 small.jpg

20230611_225726 small.jpg

20230611_225753 injector small.jpg

Dang!  I was out at SDS yesterday and bought some more of their injector bosses now that we're confident it will all fit, and he cautioned me that the rapid change as the butterflies being to open may cause us problems.  Idle and flat-out everything is fine, but driveability sounds like it might be an issue.  Dang!  Jenvey and Racehead are using what seems to me to be similar systems to our efforts, and I sure don't understand the software variables.   Hopefully we'll be starting her up in the next few weeks; does anyone have any experience with the same/similar application/configurations and could provide some wisdom? 

Spent a bit of time last night with the heater line disconnected from the block as well as the heater hose, and I figure we can maybe anchor the hose to the manifold/DCOE interface rather than the block, or replace the whole metal section with silicon hose for flexibility, and work out anchoring as we proceed.

Thanks, Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered Johnhup's articles, and AustrianVespaGuy's two articles in the Forums on EFI installations, as well as his article on throttle linkages.  I should'a read them all, a couple of years back! 

Welding on the manifold will be done next week and we'll install next Friday, and hopefully get it running soon thereafter.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, VespaGuy!

Dropped a note to Racehead and asked who they recommended for engine management, as they only sell the plumbing and their approach is similar to ours.  Got the following really considerate reply (since I'm not buying anything off them) this morning:

Hi

no problem, We extensively use and recommend ECUmaster ECUs they are very good and very affordable. CLASSIC version is all you need. I can offer support and base tune files for m10 with ITBs

regards

rama

https://ecumasterusa.com/collections/standalone-engine-management/products/ecumaster-emu-classic?variant=8318139531325

is the site to check, with a price of $ 999 US

SDS and Racehead have been more than helpful; hopefully we'll have some real progress in the next couple of weeks and see how things are going.  And thanks again to AustrianVespaGuy for this articles and his note.  Doug

• 5 months later...

You can probably tell that the welding didn't happen, but - touch wood - in the next week or so.  We haven't touched the project since June/July, but:  Jeff's gotta source a pin for the shift linkage and get that reinstalled, then the exhaust system back up again.  If the welding is still delayed, then work on fitting an E24 rear seat.  We think everything is ready for the manifold etc. installation (plus associated work) and hopefully find that it starts  Probably have to drain the fuel tank first as well, as any gas in there's gotta be old.  IF it starts and idles, then go through the vehicle to ensure that the bearings/brakes/lubricants/etc. are all to up to snuff.  And by then it'll be Spring, and we can see if it'll actually run with our combination, or if it requires more parts/upgrades.  Fingers crossed!

• 1 month later...

Finally got the Simple Digital Systems injector bosses welded onto the intake manifold (the bosses fit - barely; the welder really struggled to get them fitted) and picked it up yesterday and we fitted the manifold and the 'throttle bodies' (gutted Weber DCOEs)  and air filters this afternoon.  Needed to buy one more braided stainless line to connect the rearmost injector to the manifold, but it looks like everything will actually fit and have decent clearance.

Buddy Jeff took the manifold home this afternoon as the bosses are installed, but an orifice for the injectors need to be drilled through the manifold.  Plus setting up the throttle linkage is looking 'interesting'.

I haven't posted here for a long time, so kindly forgive my struggles with posting cell phone images.  Doug

Okay:  dunno what will show up here (it might be a video?!?) but you can see the SDS injector bosses on the underside of the Weber DCOES (boo!  hiss!  dumb idea on my part), as well as the bosses on the manifold, for which we have high (!) hopes.

Ideally, this ludicrously lengthy pile of photos will show the approach we're taking now (fitting aluminium injector bosses from Simple Digital Systems to an anonymous intake manifold (no brand names).  We seem to have problems with getting the throttle linakge set up, but Jeff will hopefully resolve these issues.

Ideally, we'll get the mechanical aspects (clearances, etc.) cleaned up next week.  Then see if it'll actually start.

Running and fine tuning will - obviously - take more time.

First step will be getting everyting bolted up, successfully.  Then - starting!.  After that, we need  to determine if the ECU is suitable for our application, and optimizing.  Doug

PS:  Fingers definitely crossed!!!

20240125_215431.jpg

20240125_215437.jpg

20240125_215446.jpg

20240125_215456.jpg

20240125_215505.jpg

20240125_215842.jpg

20240125_220036.jpg

20240125_220132_01.jpg

20240125_220132_02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We had to space the throttle linkage further away from the DCOE throttle bodies so Jeff made up an aluminum plate to reposition it.  We've got the DCOEs mounted, and are really pleased that there's only one interference problem - the plug for the rear most injector interferes with the stainless steel heater 'hose'.  Note the intake spacers, the linkage spacer, and the 'pail of snakes' of the lines to the remote mount oil filter and the rubber hose covered EFI lines.  Jeff straightened out the vertical rod from the throttle pedal and it looks like we've got full range movement.  I'll pull the DCOes and we'll have a look at the heater pipe interference next week, and might have a problem with the TBI (I think that's it) interfering.  Excessively optimistic visions of trying to start it next Friday, but dang unlikely.  Just good to see it all bolted in place and no major fitting problems

I can give you my Emublack configuration file as a reference point - however as all my sensors will be different and my engine is differrent there is not too much to reuse.