• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N20 engine swap

newtobmw

23 minutes ago, newtobmw said:

Just gave it a re-read. They were saying there was a switch to 0W20! That's as thick as water. They are reaching the limits due to government pushes for sure. The other issue on these is the carbon build up on the intake. I have an N55 and will have to walnut blast the valves. I still think if you went through one with the new bits and ran good oil they could be ok. My N55 has been bullet proof but its well maintained an only has 120K on it so far. I also have stuck to 5W40. Its cold here so thicker than that isn't better for me. -33 Celsius this morning!

5w30 is about the consistency of cheap imitation maple syrup, so 0w20 would be about like water.

The N55 is definitely more robust and smoother due to the 2 more cylinders than the n20. I would still be wary of the n20 even with the updated parts, they came out with the b48 in 2016 and I haven't heard of any issues with it. 

Having to walnut blast the intake valves is easier and cheaper than replacing the whole engine.

I believe the N20/N26 and the B48 are similar size-ish?????  If you can get an N20 into an 02 then a B48 could be similar... and fitting the 6 speed manual is key.

used B48 are still pricey and even harder to find with a manual.... start with an N20, figure out the space and electronics, blow up a couple as they are easy to find, and then get a B48.....  if you are looking for something to do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2021 at 9:34 PM, 2002iii said:

5w30 is about the consistency of cheap imitation maple syrup, so 0w20 would be about like water.

If you are interested, I can get you some SAE 250 :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 7 months later...

Just curious if anyone had made and progress on this swap. I was dead set to go S14 on my project, but the prices for everything is just getting insane. Just this weekend a stock S14 sold on BAT for $21K, not even rebuilt, no video of it even running. 

I like the idea of sticking with a 4cly and the N20 or even the B48 seem like that would be amazing in the car. 

• 7 months later...