• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to stop yourself from buying another project car...

dang

I read the title and thought: "WHY ON EARTH WOULD I WANT TO TALK MYSELF OUT OF ANOTHER PROJECT CAR???" :-D

A couple (4-6?) hours of work ahead of me on it, and this one will be a new daily!

before (June 2019) and current (October 2019) photos:

(playing with livery and design layout using temporary stripes, etc)

IMG_9198.JPG

side checker.JPG

• Like 2

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Garage space is the limiting factor for me. It's a running gag with my wife every time I see something interesting: "If I had a barn..."

She knows I'm not really joking, though. My dad had a 30x40-foot pole building, plus a two-car garage, plus a few rented/borrowed/unused-half-of-an-aunt's-garage stalls around town. I think at the peak he owned 13 vehicles at once, and there were only two drivers in the family at that time. Of course, only about half of the cars were roadworthy, so that evened things out some.

So yeah, garage space. Well, and time. Don't have enough to spend on the '02 as it is.

And money, too, now that you mention it...

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

My name is Adam also, and I am addicted to cars.

Crowd murmurs: "Hi Adam".

It's been 378 days since my last purchase. That for a an E30 that I couldn't possibly let go.

My strategy has to been to only have one non-runner at a time. That limits my financial ability to purchase cars with good bones. Future collectibility. Always wanted. Can't pass it up. And all the other reasons I can come up with to purchase another project.

• Like 1

1972 Tii

1997 Land Rover Defender LE #127

Whenever one pops up that's tempting, I usually tip off other people so they can buy it before me.  We all like finding great deals on cars, right?  We like telling people about great deals.  We like to see abandoned cars with potential adopted and brought back to life, right?  Well, let someone else do the hard work!

Local friends have taken the bait for me many times, and I still see and hear about their progress and pitfalls.  If there's not a good friend that really wants something, I post the ad on one of the good car FB groups.  There's Rivertown Gearbusters for my semi-local 02ers,  Obscure Cars for Sale for most weirdo factory made cars,  Unique Cars for Sale 2.0 for weirdo cars in general, and I've got my own Bring a Welder group for all the weirdo mechanical projects that aren't exactly cars or motorcycles or anything useful at all. 

• Like 3

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

11 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Perhaps this could be a stable mate to the F-bomb and call it the cougarvagon 

fbomb.jpg

Her name is Lily....and she's chaste as the day is long... right down to her single barrel carb! :D

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com