• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wham-Wham - BMW 1600-2 '67

Lucian
Go to solution Solved by Lucian,

Thanks Lorin  it has been a smiling day, rare these days, I did not chat but lots of little things I have done I am sure because of hit, but looking at those items as tough enough?  Example I went to Eddie that does welding and in front of  my audi muffler pipe had come loose so fixed/welded and raised up and tighten the exh pipes, shook her everywhere, now getting  fuel sending unit and going to take power and ground there since it will be exposed, maybe a tank cleaning also?, also my speaker covers came off ... no where to be found, ordered pair today hope they fit ... so it is getting happy happy (as Emeril Lagasse says)  .... and me also   tks  ...Lucian    

speaker.jpg

• Like 1

'67 BMW 1600-2 Sahara/Brown 133,000 ..'73 BMW R90/6 Blk/White pin/s 155,000

• 3 weeks later...

Update with final restore adventures after wham_wham, gas gage bouncing looks like posts I have read  there are 4 things to try before gauge out and checked by North Hollywood Speedo ... 1st I tried above batt screw into sheet metal, had elec. person to give me help we un screw and did not sand put back (he said was loose) He said try it probably will be working tomorrow, No!  still bouncing, he said call him, chase him around for a week and ...  so on my own ... took seat out looking for sending unit and pic to show no rust in my straw storage well, was impressed with straw loss  53 years worth ... I remember were the sending unit is (right in front of me)  looks original, (I have new one, running gas out then replace)  so now will try ground to right rear light turn indicator, after I get sand paper, bolt and 1  meter of wire ... early cars different  ... also I think I have hole in muffler  exh pipes all checked and welded ... I guess  Midas .  nos BMW muff another story    Lucian

rear seats.JPG

straw stor.JPG

strawstor-2.JPG

sending.JPG

send.JPG

• Like 1

Could not wait, took off ground-Brown, scraped the connection quickly went and started car, something different went back and scrapped both connections to remove crud (not much) started car gas gauge pegged ...  all right .. I feel good now no rush lots of time testing ... now the muffler  and the trailer wiring , will go to a wiring guy I know, hope wiring guy  still works there ... L

I had bouncing in my temp gauge since I put my car together and some inaccuracy with fuel gauge. I created new ground on back of gauges, That helped some, But what finally fixed everything was I put a ground strap from bell housing bolt to firewall ground, Bingo, All gauges function correctly

• Like 1

I thought mine was fixed, went to super mkt today and I get better reading than before,, so will try your fix above, also want to see how reacts at 1/2 tank and below almost there but 30 mpg takes a while in City ....  question when you say ground strap I think a strap 1/4" to 1/2" wide of metal mesh or neg wire ok?   also was going to try adding a ground (brown wire)  from sender neg ground to my rt rear turn indicator _ back to under bonnet,  removing my sheet metal screw  connection and sanding it clean reattach see what it does, use  bolt if I have one that fits or take screw to hardware to match threads up with bolt, the hardware close has metric but letting it deplete (new owners)  .. going by new repair shop Monday (German Service closed, 2 guys that worked there too far away)    I think hole in  my Audi straight muffler on tel new guy said if hole small they could repair and they have mufflers in stock, I have contacted 3 shops and they all want me to leave car, no thank you ... pic is place original called Major Muffler?  Seems like the muffler shops start out as exhaust repair and soon doing mech work in West LA-Santa Monica ,the Santa Monica Midas said when I  called their muffler guy no longer there ...   be at shop in pic 9:00 am Monday,    other pic is West LA City Plan drop off, walk back 1/2 block   Lucian   

major muffler.PNG

sawtelle-2.jpg

• Like 1

Put my car up and all ok with exh and muffler all ok... Eddie did good, running rich … so he directed me around the block to Ace Carb, past by there 1,000 times  fellow dialed in carb, may have been owner  … I missed 1 adj screw … bought both shops lunch … now back to bouncy gas gauge .. ground … then trailer hitch connection … L

trailer wiring.jpg

carb.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lucian said:

INTERESTING, share, I found  braded ground wire 27" long (3')  and before order, had to mess with it ... pic in trunk neg on sender to brown wire on tail light (bounced as usual)  under bonnet brown  neg in view so connect... it is connected to sheet metal  and other end to  bell housing and started it and rev a little, it worked no bounce, I have a new short sender and will be putting that in, after  if bouncy gauge or not.. braided neg (maybe will need cloth wrap and similar routing  will drive around Monday to dbl test  and thanks to RCF925

neg wire.jpg

NEG TO NEG.JPG

neg.jpg

It's the small frustrating things that bring joy when you figure them out, It's taken me about year after putting my 68 together to get it pretty much sorted

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

Update, New shop pic _ Stuttgart Auto West Los Angeles I was going to put sender in myself and I was on right track for a few moments, experimenting I connected neg of old sending unit (in addition to under bonnet  connection) to what I thought was Eng Neg knocked out gas, temp, tach (I put in vs clock) 1 fuse out 8 amp ? replaced checked still out so off to  Randy's 1st time, David worked on car and used hammer to loose sender, per shop manual cross screw drivers but been there too long (did not see any dents in old sender) after installed started right up gas, temp and clock working?  I had to stay in customer area and must have looked like monkey trying to see everything , my car below the BMW  3.0 CS 1967.   ... Court/CA Law  I put in 11K more than insurance and guy that hit me starts  paying $300.00 a month to  start,  tied in to his 2 years probation, will see!  So this ends my Topic Post on Wham _Wham .........   amazing stuffing ....  car and me on my own, just have to get trailer lights connected ... L  

Ready 8 am.jpg

old sender .jpg

New.jpg

3 CS 1967.jpg

• Like 2