• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flexfuel and MS3

Dudeland

Dave,  Here is some info..

https://www.haltech.com/how-flex-fuel-control-works/

i think a sensor with a Haltech is only necessary if E85 is used from time to time.  If there is a consistent use of a fixed percentage of ethanol in the fuel, select the type of fuel on the fuel tab in setup and enter the percentage of ethanol.  Then if there is a change to another fuel, enter the fuel info and that's it, no returning necessary.

On the issue of injector size, E85 needs bigger injectors, but the 10% stuff is not noticed.  Dave, I am waiting to see how your stock injectors duty ends up.  Will be ok for our altitude, but at sea level maybe.  To change later is a slam dunk, and no retune needed.  See the Haltech support forum for that question and results from a change on today's posts.

Edited by jimk
Additional info

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Super cool, thanks.  I am interested in E85 simply because I can potentially lower the cyl head temps by running E85 ( or so the internet says) and boost octane.  Which for a $30 sensor and $100 in  AN lines, I could take advantage of this functionality.

In addition Halltech did a faq on youtube.   One of the questions was around using the fuel sensor so you can have a specific tune for the actual fuel in your tank.   Kinda cool. 

Still unforeseeable months away from doing anything.  The next three months are crazy for me.  

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

The downside of E85 is that it uses 50% more than regular fuel, so your injectors have to be bigger and your fuel tank capacity essentially shrinks.  The stock 12 gallon tank would essentially be 8 gallons.

You would also have to tune the car twice, once for each gas type, if you plan on switching back and forth.

I would love to see an E85 vs gas dyno comparison though.

What compression ratio do you have and what is your boost PSI target?

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!