• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My trunk mounted battery shamozzle

jp5Touring

I understand many of you guys are relocating your battery to the trunk, But I don't understand why on a street car ? The trunk space is reduced considerably with that "Ultimate" duel purpose battery mount / rear shock tower brace. I've seen some battery relocations under the rear seat, but that's not the greatest place either for a street car.

That's my Nay-Say for the day,

Slavs

For a Tii it's not a bad idea, the battery and air cleaner do restrict the access to the oil filter and alternator somewhat, that said my tray is removable so really it's only a 10 minute job to get access, but it would be easier if the battery was in he trunk, I'd use a battery box myself as it sits to one side.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slavs said:

I understand many of you guys are relocating your battery to the trunk, But I don't understand why on a street car ? The trunk space is reduced considerably with that "Ultimate" duel purpose battery mount / rear shock tower brace. I've seen some battery relocations under the rear seat, but that's not the greatest place either for a street car.

That's my Nay-Say for the day,

Slavs

Understand  why not on a street car, But then why do I do any of this ?  Mine came with the trunk set up but needed a new battery.

My battery was old, not vented correctly and needed to be replaced. So a quality AGM battery was added and a few bucks on better cables. Agreed the design is a total  trunk space hog and needs to be addressed. Luckley My oldest Son is a very talented metal fabricator, so I might mess with a better design with raising the bar or moving the battery more to right at a 90 degree.

I think the way to go is under the seat with all the new battery technology.  I have speakers there  for now but I think that will change.

One of my friends relocated his batter under the rear seat. He used an Optima battery which can be mounted on its side to prevent a potential hazard of the seat springs and frame coming on in contact with the terminals. He used cables from a newer BMW he found at the junkyard. I think it was one of the e30 series. He never had any problems with it.

• Like 1

I was going to do a trunk mount, then thought about under the seat, then decided if I was going with a small battery, why not just put it in the stock location?

3 lbs, 1/4 the size, and I don't have to run cables throughout the car (long cable runs are not ideal for a smaller/lower cranking amp battery)

EFI and a turbo are in my future plans, so now I have lots of room for tubing

20190811_154841.thumb.jpg.35adaef5507af8d6d6d2b942acef4e34.jpg

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

3 minutes ago, xr4tic said:

EFI and a turbo are in my future plans, so now I have lots of room for tubing

Hi,

If going with EFI, that particular area where the battery is mounted is perfect for the air filter housing.  I installed an e30 airbox there, but a battery would have left room for it.