• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

overheating problem

hey to all i am new to classic cars i am 20 so this is my first 2002 , my 2002 is overheating from some time now, i remplaced almost all : the water pump , 320i radiator, new head gasket, refurbished head, bmw blue coolant with destilated water, radiator cap, new hoses, and a pusher fan and still when going up hill or in traffic it overheads, in the highway dont, y try to take out the bubles the best i could,  reving the engine will presing the top radiator hose , i dont have a termostat so it supose to be always cold, i dont have space for the oem fan with the new radiator , and i dont have heater any info is greatly greated 

• Like 1

If you don't have a heater, is the heater circuit blocked or bypassed? If it's bypassed then this can be a cause of overheating, as this "short circuits" the radiator, causing most of the water to just circulate thought the cylinder head and water pump and never get cooled.

Edited by dlacey

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

4 hours ago, alexander pastelblau said:

i dont have a termostat so it supose to be always cold

The thermostat not only controls the flow from the radiator, but i controls the recirculation warm up flow from the head outlet back to the pump suction.  I shuts off the recirculation warm up flow when the engine reaches operating temperature.  Need the thermostat too keep it cool!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

+1 JIMK.     You need a T-Stat to allow the water to stay in the radiator long enough to cool, otherwise, it creates the snowball effect and keeps getting hotter and hotter and hotter. Also, how does your "pusher" fan function, I.e.: temp switch and relay,manual switch?   IMHO,  pusher fans can impede air flow through the radiator if they are not on a low temp switch. Is your 320 radiator new? If not, was it flushed and inspected?

Good Luck,

dq

You don't say whether you have A/C or not, but the A/C condenser can also block airflow through the radiator, contributing to overheating.  

And...since the factory thermostat is at the junction of three hoses, how are you joining those hoses without a thermostat?  Or did a PO do some jury rigging?  Perhaps the hoses are not correctly connected.  At any rate, you do need a thermostat for proper cooling.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

7 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Before pulling the block's drain plug (under the exhaust manifold), you might want to hang a shower curtain under the car;

And then when the plug is out and the coolant is all drained from the block, take the block drain plug down to a hardware store or auto parts house and find a brass drain cock that will fit the hole, preferably a drain cock with a nipple to which you can attach a short length of hose and direct the coolant into a bucket or drain pan.  Then you can re-hang your shower curtain and (hopefully) escape your significant other's wrath!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite