• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk lock cylinder assembly?

KFunk

Can someone tell me how the trunk lock cylinder is assembled, such that when you push the locked button, it doesn't slide all the way internally into the trunk?

My lock kinda fell apart and spilled its guts into trunk.  The button/cylinder was sliding in and out wherever it wanted.  2x2 wood and hammer trick wouldn't open the trunk itself, but jamming little screwdriver into keyhole somehow managed to pop it open.  I found the 90 degree arm that goes between the cylinder and the trunk latch had popped out and was sitting in middle of trunk.  I put it back into the end of the cylinder, and everything works for opening and closing it unlocked.  But when I lock it, the arm is no longer aimed in such a way to keep it from sliding past the latch arm, and the whole cylinder/button just slides back up inside if you push on it, like an inny instead of an outty belly button.  

There's gotta be some more parts or a spring or something that prevent it from being an inny, but not sure where they've went. 

Edited by KFunk
forgot to specify that it was for the trunk, messed up title

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Sounds strange. We need some pictures. 

I suspect the answer is a replacement lock cylinder. At least you don’t need to replace more than one key when you change the lock. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Nah, not gonna buy anything expensive.  It still works fine, I just need to hold the cylinder in place while locking or unlocking so it doesn't slide inside all the way.  If it does go inny, I can just fish it out with the key.  I found one washer in my trunk that I suspect was part of the mechanism that fell out, but not sure if I'm missing anything else.  Doesn't seem like that would stop it by itself.

It just all fell apart due to a little metal holder tab bending out of the way to let the arm fly off into the trunk, along with whatever else parts it held in there.  

I really just need a picture or diagram or to see someone else's car of how the cylinder should be assembled.  I tried taking a picture of my assembly, but the lighting was terrible, and there's just an empty gap around the center shaft of the assembly, where there are supposed to be parts of some sort, which probably found their way into a crevice of the trunk somewhere.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

It's been a long time, but i think it was just staked.  And the staking wasn't good enough.

And the lever arm would launch itself into the trunk, rendering the latch useless.

There was a whole run of replacement locks in the '90's that did this.

It was pretty shitty, because most of the usual tricks to get the trunk

open no longer work.  The parts were sold by BMW at a hefty price,

but made by a 3rd party.  

I recall reassembling, then using a chisel to re- stake the plunger.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

That whole outside part on mine is holding together just fine, its actually threaded together.  There are little notches to enable you to whack the collar with a screwdriver, so you can loosen or tighten it.  On mine, the center part is sliding freely back and forth internally.  If it runs into the latch arm, cool, it stops the arm and pops the trunk.  If its locked and the arm doesn't hit the latch, then the center part keeps going internally.

I circled the center part here, which somehow needs held inside there.  

lock assembly.jpg

Bring a Welder

Nothing at all in that blue oval for me, which is why I'm asking.  I found a washer that may fit there if I pry the arm and put it in there, but I'm not positive it will do anything, since it will probably just slide in and out with the cylinder.  Was wondering if a spring or other thing was necessary there. 

Bring a Welder

Yeah, Tom, you're looking at the outer barrel.  The staking was done inside, 

and it's seriously been almost 20 years (and 2457 gallons of beer) since I last looked (and swore vehemently) at it.

So I don't recall exactly what it looked like.  The two pieces slid together, and then folding the edge of the outer retained the inner???\

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I'll try to stick to helping with things I've actually done.

I was just hoping photos of my cylinder might help.

Photos are fun to share.  Fun to see too.

I'd like to see some of the part in question.

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

20 years (and 2457 gallons of beer)

That works out to 43 ounces per day.

Or, 3.6 twelve ounce cans/day.

You've been a member since Nov. 1st, 2005, which is 4980 days and have made 18,033 posts.

Which works out to 3.6 posts/day.

I don't know what's weirder... the coincidence, or the fact that I just did that math.

(probably the latter)

Tom

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I'll try to stick to helping with things I've actually done.

I was just hoping photos of my cylinder might help.

Photos are fun to share.  Fun to see too.

I'd like to see some of the part in question.

That works out to 43 ounces per day.

Or, 3.6 twelve ounce cans/day.

You've been a member since Nov. 1st, 2005, which is 4980 days and have made 18,033 posts.

Which works out to 3.6 posts/day.

I don't know what's weirder... the coincidence, or the fact that I just did that math.

(probably the latter)

Tom

Also, he was 43. Or is 43 or will be 43.

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.