• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

early/Alpina gauge pod

56 minutes ago, mccusername said:

This is my favorite. Early Alpina rally car, extra gauges everywhere but they took the clock out and said screw it and left a big hole. I like to imagine there's a big air duct leading to it to keep the driver cool.

imageproxy-9.jpg

Anybody have any idea what the purpose

of that rod above the accelerator pedal is for???

Thanks,

bob

• Like 1

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

On 3/30/2021 at 12:15 PM, bob02 said:

Anybody have any idea what the purpose

of that rod above the accelerator pedal is for???

I think it is a linkage for an 'adjustable acceleration pedal' that Alpina offered (see price list below).

IMG_3673.jpg

Edited by mccusername
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2021 at 8:16 PM, mccusername said:

This is my favorite. Early Alpina rally car, extra gauges everywhere but they took the clock out and said screw it and left a big hole. I like to imagine there's a big air duct leading to it to keep the driver cool.

imageproxy-9.jpg

I was also thinking of adding this to my dashboard

1.jpg

• Like 4

I tried blowing up that pic, it does look like it is coming from the acceleration pedel.  I have the 'adjustable light metal acceleration pedal' in my car.  It's quite a thing really, not a big deal to machine today but back in 1973 or so probably took some time.  Cast aluminum with a separate base - uses a cable though, not a rod.

IMG_20210402_143415.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 9:25 PM, Mike Self said:

Years ago i bought a three pod gauge that was sold by an English company that supplied parts for kit and home-built cars--it looks very similar to the gauge pod in your first picture.  It's plastic and IIRC dates back to the late 70s or early 80s.  I've not seen another one like it but something similar may be available from Jamic.

mike

I found the Jaeger pod MIke used and tried it in my touring. Because the touring windshield has a steeper rake than a regular 02, it didn't fit.

I'm looking to sell the Jaeger pod, which, according to Mike (who knows more about 2002s than all of us), works great in a regular 02. Please email me at joshuaweinstein@ymail.com if interested.

Image 1 - Jaeger -universal- triple car gauge dash mount holder,pod, Nos for 52mm gauges.

• Like 1

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

If you go back and look at the picture in my first post in this thread, they’re using the Jaeger pod and it looks really cool. 

They installed it on the shelf of the dash though, don’t know how many of us would have the guts to drill a mounting hole there. 

2 hours ago, mccusername said:

If you go back and look at the picture in my first post in this thread, they’re using the Jaeger pod and it looks really cool. 

They installed it on the shelf of the dash though, don’t know how many of us would have the guts to drill a mounting hole there. 

Well, that's part of the frivolity of all this "Alpina never did x, they only did y" that some people engage in. Alpina did a lot of different things over the years with 02s. Some of the parts they used were their own but others, like that pod, were something anyone could buy off the shelf (or eBay nowadays). Often, they used what was on their shelf. Look at the picture Mark posted of the A4 Alpina built in 1974: a four-spoke wheel and some non-Alpina gauge pod......

• Like 1

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/