• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Backfires, won't idle

jon

'76 2002.  Backfire started a week ago. After a 20 mile high speed drive, the engine won't idle, kills unless revs above 2000 rpms.  Points gapped and plugs new.  What could be causes? 

carburetor is a 32/36.  The side you point to has a white plastic choke.  Will check to see if there is an idle cutoff solenoid.

The only vacuum line I am aware of to the intake manifold is OK.  There is another port that is plugged.

If you do have an idle cutoff solenoid then that could be broken or disconnected and causing fuel cut at idle. But since it's also backfiring and what not I'm guessing this isn't your issue.

Distributor spin a little maybe? Make sure it's tight.

'74 Verona

My guess? Blockage in the idle jet.

Have a look where that arrow on the picture above is pointed and you will find either a idle solenoid (as discussed above) or a idle jet carrier. If it’s a carrier, unscrew and clean out the jet in the end. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/