• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AlpinA A4 'Enzeldrosselanlage' System FS (Nm/Na)

markmac

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

....Never would have imagined that price when I bought my A4 system a dozen years ago. 

Do you mean in the “olden days”, when a mint ‘72 tii might fetch $32K? ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

$10k wow.  Never would have imagined that price when I bought my A4 system a dozen years ago. 

I was the second highest bidder and am both disappointed and happy I did not continue bidding.  A lot of money, yes.  But I've owned 3 and the last one, Mark's old system that is now on the Inka touring, cost me $5,000 for complete system (with pump), like this one about ten years ago.  Prices for 2002s have about doubled in that time, so I'm not surprised the price for this, much rarer than a 2002, has doubled as well.  Would have been nice to build another one.....

• Like 1

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

20 minutes ago, inkatouring said:

I was the second highest bidder and am both disappointed and happy I did not continue bidding.  A lot of money, yes.  But I've owned 3 and the last one, Mark's old system that is now on the Inka touring, cost me $5,000 for complete system (with pump), like this one about ten years ago.  Prices for 2002s have about doubled in that time, so I'm not surprised the price for this, much rarer than a 2002, has doubled as well.  Would have been nice to build another one.....

I bought mine in 2007 and paid an affordable price for it.  It’s complete as well including the pump and the Alpina air box and was pulled from a running car that I personally saw running.  I had intended to use it on my Tii track car but never installed it.  I’ve been on the fence about selling it and this auction here has definitely put it on my mind again, but with how rare and hard to find these systems are, I haven’t been....and probably won’t be able...to part with it.  

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Josh, sorry you didn't win the auction.  As sick as I am, I even considered bidding on it when it was at 6/7k level, then I got a grip on the reality that I have an Alpina race car that I have been working on for like 18 years now just about....and its high time I finish it.  Everything you said in your post is true, about the value of things escalating and how sometimes (especially us 'older' folk) remember the days of the $4k tii.  Those days are long gone as we all know.

The system Josh ended up with, I acquired from Germany in 1993 for $1700.  Complete with fiberglass air box, linkage etc., standard euro tii pump.  About a year later I bought a new pump direct from Alpina $2200.  For me that was significant money in that day.  I had a Polaris '73tii that I ran around Corona Del Mar/Newport Beach in with that A4 system (bmw sport 300 cam), car was a lot of fun, very fast.  Pulled the system off the car, sold the tii for $7k and the Alpina A4 system for $5200, which again, was pretty big money back then.  Josh ended up with it on his Inkatouring and now that car has passed on to someone else....

Edited by markmac
typo

Misunderstanding on my part! I thought you meant literally ill. Mark.. not just bit by the 02 bug.

Anyway, congrats to the high bidder, hope they are on this board and we can learn about the car it will go on.

Jason

Edited by JsnPpp
typo/misunderstanding

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

I bought mine in 2007 and paid an affordable price for it.  It’s complete as well including the pump and the Alpina air box and was pulled from a running car that I personally saw running.  I had intended to use it on my Tii track car but never installed it.  I’ve been on the fence about selling it and this auction here has definitely put it on my mind again, but with how rare and hard to find these systems are, I haven’t been....and probably won’t be able...to part with it.  

When you decide to sell it, you know who to contact first (that would be me!).....

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

8 hours ago, markmac said:

Josh, sorry you didn't win the auction.

I'm not.  I usually snipe eBay auctions right at the end but was busy Sunday so I bid earlier in the morning.  If I "needed" to have another A4 system, I would have made a hole in my day at the time the auction was ending.  I don't need it though.  Like you, I have other projects that have been going on too long and, more importantly, no 2002 to put it in.  I'll be surprised if the latter "problem" isn't solved sooner instead of later, but I've got the C1 to finish up and the B7 to massage. Do I "need" an A4 system when I have no 02, three project cars, one daily driver, my wife's car and only two garage spaces?