• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AlpinA A4 'Enzeldrosselanlage' System FS (Nm/Na)

markmac

I believe Andreas who posts here occasionally is selling this off, I only post out of interest and in the event someone (here is looking for one) ….they will need to hand over a pretty good sized pile of cash I believe.  Will be interesting to see where it ends up.  I would want to know (or make sure the pump is a 129.10 Alpina pump and not a tii pump).

AlpinA A4 System Auction

Edited by markmac
typo
  • Like 2

Very interesting, I can't recall when a complete A4 setup has been sold off (and by complete I mean complete - even to the 2002 airbox).

Very cool setup.

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

It doesn't happen often.  Nope.  If the pump is correct, probably off the mark but I could see 6 or 7k euros.  If it isn't it could still get there (but shouldn't).  Nearly all of these systems that have been used over the years which is +30 now all need work (throttle shaft bushings) so odds are you aren't done with your purchase when you have it.  I had one, they work really well, and Jason I know you have one so you know yourself....easier in my opinion to tune than a standard tii.

• Like 1

I agree, I was thinking it could reach US$7K all things considered; rarity + completeness. Seems that some work has been done recently but doesn't mention bushings. Did all come with the orange lettering? I see some have it some don't.

I too feel that its easier to tune than a Tii. Much less magic, but some gotchas (of course). Once set up it doesn't seem to move.

Good stuff!

Jason

• Like 2

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

3 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

Good stuff!

Jason

+1

Great to hear the opinions of those with real experience in the rarified A4 world!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

My brother in law had an A4s,

it really went well, I loved it,

but I can’t see what makes it easier to tune than a Tii?

Is it because you think the ITB’s are simpler than the Tii throttle body setup?

yes they are getting silly expensive now, and to be honest unless you are absolutely a huge fan of originality (and that’s fine) you could get a very nice setup for the same or a lot less and it would all be new!

Thinking jenvey’s, full modern build etc.

But my word those Alpina ITB’s bring back memories?

attached pics from when when he first got the car.

AD6B7681-6E1F-4734-BEBE-43E4334A5A5E.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, markmac said:

Nearly all of these systems that have been used over the years which is +30 now all need work (throttle shaft bushings) so odds are you aren't done with your purchase when you have it.

I purchased a complete set up about 5 years ago, yes it was expensive. I then had it re-furbished a couple of years later (bushings, pump, injectors cleaned and matched) to spread out some of the costs. Only last year did I have it installed and I'm glad (so was Wes Ingram) that I'd first had the ~35+ system gone over. Made dialing in soooo much easier. 

It was expensive.

It is a load of fun. 

• Like 1

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

My Alpina A4 throttle bodies have recently been rebuilt after years of inconsistent idle and performance. The throttle plates were worn and a lot of unmetered air was leaning out the mixture. I am waiting to see the results. 

EE280815-CB65-4B5E-81B1-327EB030EE5C.jpeg

C9B0EEEF-F2D0-4051-A603-16DD165DBDCC.jpeg

Edited by HENRYNBMW
Added photo

48 minutes ago, ColinK said:

....Only last year did I have it installed and I'm glad (so was Wes Ingram) that I'd first had the ~35+ system gone over. Made dialing in soooo much easier. 

It was expensive.

It is a load of fun. 

I’m curious: what compression ratio and what camshaft are you running with your A4 system?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Can't speak for the others, when I ran mine 10:1 CR, BMW factory 300 cam, 46/39mm valves.  Tii exhaust.  The car ran soooo well.  Smooth power on up from about 3000rpm.  Fun to drive.  Never dyno'd the motor, but would guess it had to be 160 bhp or so based on how quick it was....zero science behind that claim though.  I have heard of folks running Schrick 292's and 304's with the A4 system  - I believe Josh did (Schrick 304) and his car ran pretty well (it had my A4 system that he acquired from someone else + correct Alpina 129.10 pump).  Alpina designed the system to run with a 300 cam.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HENRYNBMW said:

My Alpina A4 throttle bodies have recently been rebuilt after years of inconsistent idle and performance. The throttle plates were worn and a lot of unmetered air was leaning out the mixture. I am waiting to see the results. 

Totally agree. Matching butterfly to bore will make a huge difference to tuning. Just takes one throttle plate misalignment to permit additional air that will force the entire system to have to compensate. Really only (dramatically) affects idle, but its a huge use case, during initial acceleration... when you push down the accelerator you want to move, not bog and you don't want idle at 1500rpm...

~Jason

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

but I can’t see what makes it easier to tune than a Tii?

Is it because you think the ITB’s are simpler than the Tii throttle body setup?

Very cool car, is that pastelblau? Love it.

Regarding tuning: once the butterflies are sync'd (not difficult, maybe an hours worth of time) the linkages are more linear than those of the Tii. Conceptually only one length to adjust where as the Tii has multiple points to measure/adjust. There are fewer linkages on the A4 (2 on A4 vs. 3 on stock Tii).

In all cases familiarity brings efficiency - the first time for both will be a multi-day event! (at least it was for me).

I've had both a stock Tii and an A4S level Tii for ~17 years, and while neither need routine readjustment, my gut is that the A4 is actually less time consuming overall when it needs to be done.

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

I’m curious: what compression ratio and what camshaft are you running with your A4 system?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

10:1 CR, 292 cam. IE header and custom 2.5" exhaust. 

Mated to a dogleg. 

• Thanks 1

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

1 hour ago, JsnPpp said:

Very cool car, is that pastelblau? Love it.

Yep correct

ok get it re the Tii tuning points, 

his car pulled like a train, it had loads of Alpina goodies on it, it was even a Lux, I still give him grief for selling it.

The two A4 systems I ran, one had 9.5/292/2.0 (Sahara 73tii) and the other was 10:1/304/s14 crank/2.2 (Inka touring).  Both ran better than any tii I had....

Edited by inkatouring
  • Like 1

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/