• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

292 cam in a 1600

mccusername

19 hours ago, Slavs said:

Everything appears 6V in your car except for your battery. Is it a 6V battery ?

Are you using the Alpina Jetting prescription as a starting point for the DCOE carbs ?

Everything appears 6v but it is actually 12v. A previous owner had already converted the car but we put some (foolish?) effort into keeping a stock 6v appearance, including converting a 6v generator into a 12v alternator, and putting 12v regulator guts into a 6v regulator.

The battery is a small, black 12v but it is located in the correct position for the early cars-- very low-- and the correct battery tray had to be fabricated (it has sort of a pressed X in the bottom instead of a hole).

The Alpina jetting prescription for the 1600 motor was indeed the starting point. I think Nate at SCR made a few adjustments but the basic idea is keep the venturi small.

Have not been able to find the correct Alpina air filter housing (they used two Knecht filters pressed together) so currently the car has a K&N filter stuck on the Alpina air box. Both the car and I are humiliated.

20200331_121001_1585671064874.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mccusername said:

Everything appears 6v but it is actually 12v. A previous owner had already converted the car but we put some (foolish?) effort into keeping a stock 6v appearance, including converting a 6v generator into a 12v alternator, and putting 12v regulator guts into a 6v regulator.

The battery is a small, black 12v but it is located in the correct position for the early cars-- very low-- and the correct battery tray had to be fabricated (it has sort of a pressed X in the bottom instead of a hole).

The Alpina jetting prescription for the 1600 motor was indeed the starting point. I think Nate at SCR made a few adjustments but the basic idea is keep the venturi small.

Have not been able to find the correct Alpina air filter housing (they used two Knecht filters pressed together) so currently the car has a K&N filter stuck on the Alpina air box. Both the car and I are humiliated.

20200331_121001_1585671064874.jpg

Bravo!

Maybe just lose the battery-top stickers, Michael, so as to draw less attention to the battery. Sure it’s got 6 cells, rather than 3, but most people alive today don’t remember 6-volt batteries, and the number of cells!

I’ve seen worse things in my life than a purple filter element... I suppose! ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I looked for some of those ‘old-timey’ looking batteries but couldn’t find anything that fit. Closest was a faux 6v battery made for 356s. 
I do have a nice repro 6v Varta  battery sticker, and a repro Bosch 6v coil sticker, but at some point maybe it gets a bit twee and/or dangerous to purposely mislabel electrical components.

There is nothing uglier than that purple filter. Looks like we’ll have to fabricate the Alpina air filter. In the meantime I’ve got some trumpets that look just like what Alpina offered as an alternative, but the air box actually works really well. 

4 hours ago, mccusername said:

I looked for some of those ‘old-timey’ looking batteries but couldn’t find anything that fit. Closest was a faux 6v battery made for 356s. 
I do have a nice repro 6v Varta  battery sticker, and a repro Bosch 6v coil sticker, but at some point maybe it gets a bit twee and/or dangerous to purposely mislabel electrical components.

There is nothing uglier than that purple filter. Looks like we’ll have to fabricate the Alpina air filter. In the meantime I’ve got some trumpets that look just like what Alpina offered as an alternative, but the air box actually works really well. 

http://www.lincon.co.uk/classic_car_batteries.html#thumb

Any of these the right size/ See if they'll sell you an empty 6 volt  box and have a light weight fake battery in the engine compartment and a small 12v gel battery under the rear seat. Or loose the battery in the engine bay altogether to make space for the alpina airfilter. Guido in Holland is having someone make him a replica, may be they can do two?

This airbox was made for the NK where space is at premium due to the early high mount battery. Once the battery position was moved it freed up lots of space and BMW made their ti air filter, which is clearly a better design that alpina decided didn't need to be improved. I searched for years for one of these, missed a couple and a certain parts hoarder wouldn't let his spare leave the shelf. Just bit the bullet and removed my battery tray and fitted the ti air filter.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

7 hours ago, Slavs said:

There has got to be an air filter element from another car that fits inside that air filter box.

There's actually not a filter inside the rectangular air box. Alpina used a separate in-line air filter, which consisted of two large (7" in diameter) Knecht air filters joined face to face by a bracket. In the 1600-2, there is room for the bracket and air filter to mount above the battery.

@NickVyse I have been in touch with Guido on and off about his quest to have a reproduction of the Alpina air filter made but progress seems... slow. I might have to strike out on my own.

Acr9537.tmp_Page_34.jpg

alpina 1600 early kit installed.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, edgefinder said:

That crank is an 80mm crank for the 2002. The part # is for an 80mm crank. It is incorrectly listed as also fitting a 1600. No 2002 crank can fit a 1600. It will fit a 1.8L, but only an early 1.8L (1963-68). Not all BMW 1.8L M10 motors are the same. The early 1.8L M10 motors had a 84mm bore with a 80 mm stroke. BMW redesigned the 1.8L during 1968 to a big bore (89mm) short stroke (71mm) configuration. This crank will not fit the later 1.8L. People tend to lump all 02s and BMW M10 motors together. 

I have never seen a 71mm crank with 8 counter weights. I don't think it exists. If you find one, let me know.

Slavs