• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying my dream car, my BMW 2002 story, for now!

ddletendre

Great story, David!

Sounds like a great match. You are a true believer, evidenced by your use of “sexy” to describe Sahara! Enjoy the fulfillment of your dream.

Ceylon? According to BMW Group Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com)? Are there actual signs of Ceylon under the dash, under the seats, under the car? We all thought Ceylon was discontinued long before 1976....

Congrats and regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

24 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Great story, David!

Sounds like a great match. You are a true believer, evidenced by your use of “sexy” to describe Sahara! Enjoy the fulfillment of your dream.

Ceylon? According to BMW Group Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com)? Are there actual signs of Ceylon under the dash, under the seats, under the car? We all thought Ceylon was discontinued long before 1976....

Congrats and regards,

Steve

Looks like Ceylon. I must be wrong. The original color was a light golden brown, still visible from the engine bay and trunk area. Thanks for correcting me!

• Like 1

As a relative newbie and minimal mechanical skills and knowledge, here are some of my recommendations:

• You'll be told to get Macartney's 02 Restoration Guide, a great resource. Lightly read it, drive and work on your car, and spend a lot of time on the forum.  Then go back and read it again.  My first read, I tried to comprehend everything in the book.  I went back and read it a year after owning my car and it made so much more sense.
  • Also read “Ran When Parked”, might give you overview of issues of 45 year old car and a good story.
  • Don’t be afraid to seek help from FAQ members no matter the issue. 
  • Drive your car and take on little projects as you can, its very rewarding.  Work from the inside out on engine, tranny, drive train.  Don’t worry too much about cosmetics.
  • Go to the BAT site when a 2002 is up for sale and read comments.  Scratch that

• Start looking at new and used parts now, demand and prices of both seem to be going up.
  • Don't get married yet because worse case, you may be selling the 02 for a minivan.

Edited by Steve Tochi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Tochi said:

As a relative newbie and minimal mechanical skills and knowledge, here are some of my recommendations:

• You'll be told to get Macartney's 02 Restoration Guide, a great resource. Lightly read it, drive and work on your car, and spend a lot of time on the forum.  Then go back and read it again.  My first read, I tried to comprehend everything in the book.  I went back and read it a year after owning my car and it made so much more sense.
  • Also read “Ran When Parked”, might give you overview of issues of 45 year old car and a good story.
  • Don’t be afraid to seek help from FAQ members no matter the issue. 
  • Drive your car and take on little projects as you can, its very rewarding.  Work from the inside out on engine, tranny, drive train.  Don’t worry too much about cosmetics.
  • Go to the BAT site when a 2002 is up for sale and read comments.  Scratch that

• Start looking at new and used parts now, demand and prices of both seem to be going up.
  • Don't get married yet because worse case, you may be selling the 02 for a minivan.

This is one of the best comment i’ve read in a long time hahaha! Thanks for the tips!