• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 2002Tii on Hemmings

64FHC

I emailed the seller, and I might have been a bit casual, but I really, really think I wasn't rude and I wasn't trying to talk him off his price, and I wasn't putting down the car. However I did mention that I wasn't sure it was original paint, and this is the reply I got:

When you begin your inquiry doubting the veracity of my add I’m dissuaded from selling my lovely car to you. 
You may talk to “the guy” who was going to buy it at your pleasure but for your information I found him to be dishonest. 
I will not be sending you any information on my car and will not be selling it to you. 
The paint is original by the factory and no respray or overspray.   
Look elsewhere. 

27 minutes ago, mccusername said:

I emailed the seller, and I might have been a bit casual, but I really, really think I wasn't rude and I wasn't trying to talk him off his price, and I wasn't putting down the car. However I did mention that I wasn't sure it was original paint, and this is the reply I got:

When you begin your inquiry doubting the veracity of my add I’m dissuaded from selling my lovely car to you. 
You may talk to “the guy” who was going to buy it at your pleasure but for your information I found him to be dishonest. 
I will not be sending you any information on my car and will not be selling it to you. 
The paint is original by the factory and no respray or overspray.   
Look elsewhere. 

Hmm, sounds like a wanker. I take back my thinking this is a desirable car. (My hunch is it was resprayed).

It looks like a great car for $36K! Either look at it in person and buy it on the spot, for $36K, or find someone to do a PPI —largely to confirm the car exists where is claims to exist — and buy it for $36K. This is not a seller who is going to be impressed by a knowledgeable or sophisticated buyer.

I’d guess that this car, VIN 2761250, was built on or just after March 23, 1972 (VIN 2761248, also an Inka tii, was manufactured on March 23, 1972).

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

10 hours ago, mccusername said:

....Me = buy the owner not the car

someone else = suck up to this old fart and get a good deal on a nice car

Hmmm...the age old decision: brains or charm?

Once again, charm will be driving that Inka beauty home....?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Bryan Bittner said:

Spare well on '72's are body color inside, you mean exterior, right?

Yes, more aesthetically pleasing to have exterior spare tire well match underside of fuel tank.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

35 minutes ago, Bryan Bittner said:

Spare well on '72's are body color inside, you mean exterior, right?

But...from the factory, the spare wheel well was painted body color, not black — except on a Schwarz car. The luggage compartment side (top) of the spare wheel well was fully painted body color. The exterior side (bottom) of the spare wheel well, however, was primer with a sloppy coat of body color. The body color was fully saturated around its rear and left edges — because those areas were fully exposed. As you moved away from those two exposed surfaces, the body color became thin and, eventually, overspray. Since the factory primer was light gray or gray-green, the body color took on odd colors: gray primer bleeding through body color overspray.

Below is an Agave round taillight with the typically miserably painted underside, as delivered by the factory.

Notice saturated body color around the edges of the underside, fading towards primer in the drivetrain tunnel.

Regards,

Steve

2201138C-0880-402B-83FE-5F0E8BBB4BD7.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1