• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scam Alert by 73Tiii

Fraidknots

Hi all,

Just an FYI.  About a month ago I posted an ad on parts wanted looking for an period correct radio, to which Steven Ocampo (AKA 73Tiii) responded and we agreed on a price of $525 for the radio and a nice condition center console.  I promptly paid him via Venmo and have been waiting for a the part over since.  I have been in continuous communication with him and at first  he hadn't had time to ship it, then he need time to disassemble the console for efficient shipping, then his brother shipped it with a bunch of things, then he was looking for the shipping conformation, and on and on. He can't provide a shipping receipt and refuses to refund the money.  At this point, I have no option but to conclude I have been scammed, which is so unfortunate because I have had nothing but terrific experiences on this forum with many great people.  Everyone I have dealt with prior to this was helpful, honest and positive in every sense of the word.  I even had one gentleman form Virginia meet me in Massachusetts (because he was here on business) and sell me some rear seats.  It's to bad some people can undermine the trust of an entire community.

Fortunate for me is that I paid via Venmo and Mr. Ocampo's information and identification is 100% verifiable via Venmo.  So now, I will have to chase him down in Court and it will cost him far more time, money, and hassle than the meager amount he collected from me.  There is still the off chance that this has been one giant series of small errors and the product will magically show up, but I doubt.  

Thanks all.

Edited by Fraidknots
spelling error
  • Sad 2

For the future, it seems like Venmo transactions are easier for people committing internet fraud, my wife bought concert tickets with Venmo and lost her money. 

As a rule now I don’t do anything with anyone associated with Venmo 

sorry to to hear about your story 

I have bought and sold many 02 parts through the classified section here and 2002 classifieds on FB with 100% succes.

I did dodge a bullet 4 months ago when I backed out of a purchase at the last second for $1200 only to see another buyer 3 weeks later looking for the seller that apparently must have been abducted by aliens since he vanished without a trace ?

AE556DDB-4914-4415-9ED1-F772F53B878F.thumb.jpeg.aa9848ccd9b7044c3eb31345e37cfc13.jpeg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Yes always paypal and never friends and family is the way to go. Just pay the fee its not much or if you are the seller just include the fee in your price, its well worth it. Just had a $1300 FB experience where the man was selling for a friend and magically couldn’t find the part anymore. Just contacted paypal and got my money back easy peasy. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I was also scammed by Steven Ocampo (aka Kevin) In NY. He has a few user names on this site, 752002 is one. He goes by the Venmo user name @woodworks-2-2. He also utilizes the following cell numbers  347-791-2628 and  646-545-6567. I posted a parts wanted ad for glass. He responded, sent me pics and sounded so sincere. I should have known better to not send him money through Venmo. Do not use Venmo, they provide you with no support or help. If anyone gathers more info on this guy, including an address, I would also like to join the legal action against him. This is a wonderful and trusted community of BMW lovers and this guy is poisoning things. 

frached, there are a lot of posts on this guy here, search the threads in parts for sale,  and you can see a lot of pissed off people with the information you are seeking, he also got me but I got a refund from venmo , good luck

Don’t use Zella either. Buying from anyone who insists on using these transactions should be a huge warning signal. Burned myself, but am closing in on the scum bag  with a criminal case already in progress.

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?