• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MM 245

jimk

LOL......ah, No.

I used a 4.44 diff for a while on track.  this moved the range so far up that 3/4/5 became the "close ratio" gearset.  problem is that at 7800rpm on the straights in fifth, which is overdrive, the driveshaft is spinning WAY beyond design limits.

switched to a 3.64, which appoximated the final ratios with the 4.44, but now having to deal with the huge gap bwtween 2 and 3.  a 4.10 just puts the shift points in all the wrong places at speed.

i really need to put a T5 tranny in the car.  common, bulletproof, currently produced, big support base and customizable.  a friend did the swap in his e30 M3.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

16 minutes ago, mlytle said:

i really need to put a T5 tranny in the car.  common, bulletproof, currently produced, big support base and customizable.  a friend did the swap in his e30 M3.

T5? Papa always was a Ford-man...I’m listening.

What’s entailed? A-dapter plate to a 265 bell housing? How well does the shifter line up with the normal ‘02 position?

custom driveshaft...still using a Guibo?

Sounds interesting. Especially when I see pics like this, with Ben T in full dissection of a Getrag at COTA...but that’s racing. 

6030A8F5-88B8-4792-B2BD-BCA4854B5B63.thumb.jpeg.10b652daca94a26efbc0665a012bedc8.jpeg

Inquiring minds want to know more :)

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

The t5 is not too bad- an auto bell housing will make for an easy adaptor,

it has a 10x1" input spline, and the shifter is pretty close to where the 2002 wants it.

There is a commonly- available bearing that should work as a pilot.

Hydraulic clutch.

If you go digging, the 1984 turbo t- bird has decent 2-3 ratios, and a .86 od, setting

you up nicely for about a 4.27 or a 4.44 if you're running 24" or bigger tires.  

I have one from an 86, which is also great 1-4, but it's an .81 od, which is a bit tall.

For 10x the cost of a junkyard trans, you can get any gear ratios you want.  

But that '84 turbo is not bad...

in an ideal world, I'd have time to see if the .86 od would bolt onto the tighter-

ratio gearsets of some of the .68 or .72 transmissions...  

Sadly, you'll be modifying the tunnel with more than a hammer.

Yes, you make a driveshaft, but get the Ford one as a donor, and it's just a matter of sticking

the BMW tail flange onto it.

And yes, the effing driveshaft is turning well over 8k with a 4.44.  It's more than a bit scary.

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

sorry, late to the party.  I admit it.  I'm away from my records so I have to do this from memory.  I bought the Ultimate version and Conversion kit as I wasn't interested in close ratios.  Is it what I expected?  Yes.  I don't have any complaints.  It works great and does what I want it to do without any drama.  Would I do it again?  Sure, but I wouldn't just blindly purchase it without doing the required research and cost/labor/value/time/logistics/benefit analysis I did the last time.  Hope this helps!

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

2 hours ago, yeewiz said:

sorry, late to the party.  I admit it.  I'm away from my records so I have to do this from memory.  I bought the Ultimate version and Conversion kit as I wasn't interested in close ratios.  Is it what I expected?  Yes.  I don't have any complaints.  It works great and does what I want it to do without any drama.  Would I do it again?  Sure, but I wouldn't just blindly purchase it without doing the required research and cost/labor/value/time/logistics/benefit analysis I did the last time.  Hope this helps!

Thank you kindly.  Good information.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.