• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TDC and the 02again crank trigger wheel

Healey3000

3 minutes ago, theNomad said:

I have not installed the system so just getting into it but from what I read the EDIS is not needed anyhow. The MS3 and Speeduinoi systems can run off a crank sensor, map sensor, intake air temp sensor and control all fuel and the timing advances in wasted spark mode. Granted you'll need to use a "smart" coil pack that has the coil driver in it or a separate driver to activate the coils (not using stock coil or distributor). You can buy coil on plug units with the right driver and still fire them wasted spark. It's only when you want each coil to fire independently that the computer has to know what it TDC ignition stroke, hence the cam sensor or a distributor based Cyl 1 TDC pulse. 

So you can use edis with a fuel only ecu, or MS running fuel only, or let MS do it all.

Agreed, I don't see the point in using all the EDIS equipment if the EFI unit can handle it.  I'm leaning towards a microsquirt and having the VR sensor run directly to it and letting it fire the coils (wasted spark, probably LS coils which are cheap/plentiful)

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

7 minutes ago, jimk said:

It is what was called a flying magnet wheel.  There are 4 magnets set in the od of the disc.  The only part of  o2 toms wheel is the pulley.  No teeth.  If it is the same as the other flying magnet wheels, one magnet is North while the other 3 are South pointing to the pickup.

I never thought of this,  I don't think mine were put in with any orientation, the magnet creates a field in the induction coil on the pickup and creates a signal.   

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

For those that have an EDIS system and are thinking of something else, the toothed wheel on the crank can be used, don't have to change it out so long as it is magnetic. 

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

8 hours ago, theNomad said:

Did you use a ford wheel

I was attempting to clarify the air to those that have EDIS and might be thinking the wheel is something special to each system.  No I don't use the Ford wheel but there are others who have.

dHere are pictures of the various parts of the wheel.  I wanted to retain my A/C this is why you see the extra wheel.  I still need to make sure that the pulley aligns with the A/C compressor.  It is very close, but  no biggie if I need to shim the compressor with a washer.   The last two pics are of a larger spacer that I had to make after my initial measurements were off by 2mm. 

IMG_0385.thumb.JPG.9a4fad09c0c642e4d8c9111df7d3d1bf.JPGIMG_0386.thumb.JPG.a0012f1bf8dcaaa990219fcd28469ec5.JPGIMG_0387.thumb.JPG.63df3a49d66c6b9d71a6645b4e38c481.JPGIMG_0388.thumb.JPG.bd562256a0676b571c457ed74aade890.JPGIMG_0389.thumb.JPG.16784e2fc433d7ab81bbc4423ebdd160.JPGIMG_0390.thumb.JPG.8b0f54dc3a02ec6309b7556bee5d814f.JPGIMG_0391.thumb.JPG.036b678252da6bcb5eb50da3c77f7070.JPGIMG_0392.thumb.JPG.b31febf3709b27e5df33aa319ecfd5cd.JPGIMG_0393.thumb.JPG.88bf7772b2d67405a62cdda39658504d.JPG

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/2/2018 at 2:33 PM, Healey3000 said:

Hi,

With MS3 I plan on using wasted spark with four LS2 coils that sit on the valve cover (I've made a bracket for these).  No EDIS, but I am using the EDIS VR sensor because that's what the 02again wheel/bracket combo is designed for.  Agreed, setting the tooth offset is easy with MS3.

MS3 also has a tach output.  I am using a 56 mH inductor to create the flyback voltage spike that the 2002 tach requires.

For the fan, MS3 only needs to produce a 100 Hz PWM signal that my circuit then uses to drive the fan, so that's easy enough.

Idle control is by means of a stepper motor.  I'm using a Cavalier throttle body which is far more compact than the e30 units.  It has an integrated TPS as well as an idle motor (IAC).  Despite that, and having the same bore as the M20B25 throttle body, it is about half the height.  It also has a nice cable pull cam for actuation.

Cavalier_TB.jpg

I'd love to know more about this throttle body. part number or model year and engine of cavalier it came off of. How did you figure out the pinout for using the sensor and motor?

@Healey3000 knows electronics/electrical design but hasn't posted here for quite a while.  Maybe he will get a notice from this post.  TPS pinout can be determined fairly easily, but the type of motor that was used for the IAC needs to be known, there were various.  Suggest you search (Google) the Megasquirt and Cavalier for forums that might have posted the pinout. 

I have info on a Jeep 4.0 throttle body that also has the IAC and TPS in one assembly.

3 hours ago, ExpensiveHoby said:

I'd love to know more about this throttle body. part number or model year and engine of cavalier it came off of. How did you figure out the pinout for using the sensor and motor?

Hi,

I don't recall the model year of the Cavalier off the top but I can dig around in my notes and get back to you.  TPS pinout is pretty simple, using an ohmmeter.  The "wiper" will change resistance as the TPS is turned. Stepper winding pairs are easy to find, in a similar manner but determining which pair is matched with Megasquirt requires trial and error (only two possible combinations, so not so bad).

Regards.

6 hours ago, ExpensiveHoby said:

I'd love to know more about this throttle body. part number or model year and engine of cavalier it came off of.

If you look in RockAuto mid 2000s the IAC and TPS look like the photo above.

2 hours ago, ExpensiveHoby said:

I was hoping that by 2023 you could buy and aftermarket throttle body with TPS, IAC, and IAT.

Don't need a new one.

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

CAVALIER 00-01 Throttle Valve Assembly, 2.2L, MT. CAVALIER 02 Throttle Valve Assembly, 2.2L, VIN 4 (8th digit), MT. Donor: 2001 CHEVROLT CAVALIER. This part...

$38

or

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

CAVALIER 00-01 Throttle Valve Assm; 2.2L, AT. CAVALIER 02 Throttle Valve Assm; 2.2L, VIN 4, AT. SUNFIRE 00-01 Throttle Valve Assm; 2.2L, AT. SUNFIRE 02 Throttle Valve...

$22

There are many more listed.

Or go to a pick-n-pull yard.

Edited by jimk

When thinking long-term, I'm hesitant to want to rely on parts from other irrelevant vehicles as they are likely to all be crushed unfortunately. It seems we use Jeep for IAC, Nissan for TPS, or Cavalier TB, and Ford for EDIS. I can get away from Ford by using smart LS coils but haven't figured out the throttle body stuff yet.